How many 1911 lovers prefer the plain jane vanilla?

Dogger

I have owned 6 full size 1911s: One Kimber, One Colt, Four Springfields... and honestly, after owning a Springfield loaded and a Kimber Custom Classic...

I still prefer the plain jane box stock MILSPEC 1911.

Yeah, it ain't as tight shootin', and the grip doesn't feel quite as good as your hand snuggling up into that beavertail grip safety, and the slide to frame fit ain't as tight as it could be...

but there is something about the classic looks of MILSPEC...

and none of those silly front cocking serrations...

The next time I buy a 1911, it is gonna be plain jane...

Am I "afflicted", or what? :)

Well then we better get the same doctor! Cause I've got that illness also. I've had a Kimber and know what its like to have one decked out pretty nicely. But I also agree about the plain jane models. They have that nostalgia about them. I've had WWII models and newer Colt 1991s too.

Count me in the plain Jane 45's. I love my Springfield,that
is slightly above the Milspec model. Quite honestly,IMHO,
some of the tricked out models look rather ridiculous. Kind
of like mag wheels on the family sedan.

I guess that you should count me in on this, I love my Browning HP but mostly there is an old Remington Rand(1943 vintage) riding IWB. Plain but absolutly reliable, the only changes I've made are an after-market barrel and a heavier recoil spring, I won't part with it.

Don in Ohio

I bought a MIL-SPEC for that very reason. When it comes to my tools, I prefer function and reliability over flash and pazazz. I figure, If it's good enough for guys to trust their lives to, then it's good enough for me too.

Probably the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec and Colt 1991A1 are the most "plain-jane" 1911 pattern pistols for sale new that are of decent quality.

I'm kind of "middle-of-the-road" in this regard.

Some additions to the 1911 can genuinely add function (better sights, better trigger). An extended thumb safety IS alot easier for me to operate and is fairly inexpensive. I REALLY don't go for front cocking serrations, checkering, stippling, grooving, calloping, shiny pimp finishes, 2-tone finishes, adjustable sights, oversize beavertails, extreme meltdown treatments and so on add nauseum. And as long as the hammer makes it go "bang" and doesn't bite me, what's the point of an ultra-skeletonized unit?

Well looks like Sheena SIG, queen of the badmouth somebody elses gun jungle has arrived, but anyway, put me down for another Milspec lover. The series 70 is still beautifully stock, while the 1945 Rem-Rand(gotta love'em there Backwoods) carries only Wilson sights and rosewood grips. Other than that, it still has the lanyard loop on the mainspring housing. See, tactical retention was important even before some jackass decided to use tactical every other breath and make all pistols (Sigs?) black. Damn that Rem. is pretty, gotta stop posting, go ogle gun!

what's the point of an ultra-skeletonized unit?

Lock Time.
A lighter hammer doesnt just make the gun that .05 ounces lighter (or whatever it is)... but the lock time is actually faster compaired to a regular hammer.
Not to the point where you can tell the difference... but its there.
Also Looks.
I think a "Commander" style hammer looks cool and actually feels better when thumb cocking than a standard spur.
And most importantly...
PERSONAL TASTE.

I also like the Commander hammer better than the spur. King's also makes one with a slightly bigger, but still round, hole that I think looks just aces.

CastleBravo, don't get me wrong...

I'm one of these guys who gets all ga-ga over a pretty face... I've been longing for a tarted-up Kimber Pro CDP http://www.kimberamerica.com/CDP_Series.htm or (if I can ever save up the money) a Burns Grey Ghost: http://www.burnscustom.com/greyghost.html so I'm afraid I can't agree with you, but...

The mil-spec 1911A1 has a different effect on me; I like it for the same reason I like Shaker furniture or old woodworking tools... clean, simple, functional lines.

There is room in my heart for both types! :)

I just read, on the SIXGUN site, that the USMC just retired their Berettas and pulled the 1911's out of storage. Seems the old guns, with a few new internal parts, were in great shape.

I just have two plain janes: a US marked M1911 made in early 1918 and an Argentine M1927. I don't shoot the M1911, but I do enjoy the M1927.

--
Mike

Back