How long to store ammo before it starts degrading?

I imagine the Army has gone through it's stock of WWII and Korea artillery shells after all the shooting they've done in the middle east unless those are reserved for training crews when trajectory variation several miles away isn't as big a deal.

Aside from the primers the "quality" needed for long shelf life is in the alloy and annealing of the brass and the quality of the chemical makeup of the powder. Neither of which can be seen or measured, other than by examining how they endure over time.

One of the main components of smokeless powder is nitric acid. Done just right in production, the powder will remain stable for multiple decades. Done less than "just right" and the powder can chemically break down over time, releasing nitric fumes which also attack the brass of the case.

Storage conditions WILL affect this, as well.

The Military has a set "self life" not because ammo will go bad after XX years, but because it MIGHT. Some things have a shelf life, then get tested and "reset".

I ate Korean War C-rations (52-53) in the 70s. C-rats were good for 7 years. Then, they pull one case from the stored lot, check it, and if its still good, the entire lot is good for another 7 years. repeat until used up...:rolleyes:

Was bummed when we got the "modern" (Viet Nam era) C-rats. The new ones didn't have smokes in them! :mad:

the Winchester 124 gr 9mm NATO ammo from WALMART is my long term storage ammo

it's military quality with sealed primers , Im sure these will still be good for a very long time , the head stamp has 2017 - 2018 dates

I suppose, so much more reason to store a variety of ammo and not just one big batch of the same lot.

I am still shooting 30.06 WWII surplus armor piercing (black tip).

They shoot wonderfully, and are very accurate.

Fact is, I bought a whole bunch of this decades ago. Never had a failure or misfire. I still have plenty.

I believe that you can store ammo for a very very very very long time.

Just keep it in a cool, dry clean place. Any kind of moisture or humidity getting to the ammo is not good.

Back