How long to make 50 rounds?

I used to load everything on the indexing lee turret press, yes 4 pulls per round.
I picked up a square deal and that took over pistol duties.
I noticed more of a savings of movement than speed, and my elbows thanked me.
The time savings is in only handling brass once or twice.

I translated it back to the lee, took the index rod out, and use it for rifle Now.
Case prep is done separate, only handle brass twice for lube,deprime, size, trim, deburr chamfer, primer pocket cleaning, and brushing of case mouth. Takes about 20 to 30 seconds a case.
Loading is separate with priming, charging, seating,
Still only handle brass twice, going in shell holder and coming out.
Most turrets have universal decap die, size die, powder charge die to use a funnel, and a seat die.

Now the electric trimmer and the case prep center and chargemaster let me do this.
But all rifle ammo is consistent.

Last edited:
I really need a faster case trimmer! Seems like case trimming is the slowest step in reloading.

Last weekend I made 90 rounds of .220 Swift. It took me about 1/2 hour to talk myself into starting; 30 minutes to sort the 90 W-W cases out of the .220 swift brass bag; 1 hour of tumbling in corn cob and dumping it out of the cases and wiping the residue off; 1/2 hour setting up my dies (and finding a new radio station), powder measure and case trimmer; a 45 minute break for lunch and to throw the ball for the dog; 1/2 hour to resize and de-prime, 1 hour to measure and trim the brass to "Trim-to Length; 1/2 hour to deburr, chamfer and clean primer pockets; 1/2 hour to prime the brass; and finally 1 hour to charge and load the rounds to correct seating depth.

So it took me 6:45 to load 90 .220 Swift last weekend.

Time flies when you are having fun!

***This accounting of my reloading time does not take into account the record keeping, packaging and labeling of the loaded ammo. Nor does it account for the cold victory beer and clean up and admiration time at the end of the day!

Last edited:
Reloading Ammo isn't a "Speed Game" ... the object is not to reload the most rounds in the shortest time .

The Object is to load "Safe and Accurate " ammunition .

My Mom had "Sayings" one was ... " Haste Makes Waste" ... what she meant was the faster you rush through a job ... the more likely you are going to screw it up ...
in Reloading you can blow you and your gun up ... it can get dangerous !

If it takes you all day to reload 50 Safe and Accurate rounds ... that's just fine .

Take your Time , Load Safe .

Now my Daddy would say ... " Boy , Don't be acting the fool !"
Gary

With plinking rounds in my handguns I average between 450-500 rounds an hour, once I get everything timed right on my old Lee Loadmaster press. That in itself can be a chore. Because of this, I usually make it an all day affair durring a cold winter day and crank out 4 to 5 thousand rounds if everything is running smoothly. That will last me about 6-8 months per service caliber.

As far as my "low volume" guns, such as bolt guns and magnum revolvers, I use a single stage press and trickle charge each round. Starting with already cleaned fired brass, I will go through the entire process from brass prep all the way through a finished round. This will take me about 2-2.5 hours to complete 50 rounds. But, I know that every round is as accurate and consistent as I can possibly make it with my equipment. It does not matter if I grab a bag of bullets that I loaded 2 years ago, or 2 days ago, everything is exactly the same within my tolerances of +/- .003. Every piece of brass or seated bullet that falls outside this tolerance gets thrown into a separate box labeled "rejects" and will be used for general plinking or fouling purposes.

With any luck I'm going about this correctly. Just got a German single shot in 9.3x72R. just wanting to know if anyone has a idea how to get around buying the150ish dollar 9.3x72r dies. I certainly don't intend to run high pressure so hopefully FL sizing won't be necessary, just mouth sizing and bullet crimping.

I've got some nasty 357 Mag Blazer brass that has been in the tumbler for over 8 hours. If that counts into my reloading time, I better not figure out the hours per round...

I take my time and enjoy it - if I take out the tumbling time, I figure right at an hour for 50 rounds through my single stage with 4 different dies.

Rifle rounds through 2 dies is about the same as I am pickier about the powder charge.

With any luck I'm going about this correctly. Just got a German single shot in 9.3x72R. just wanting to know if anyone has a idea how to get around buying the150ish dollar 9.3x72r dies. I certainly don't intend to run high pressure so hopefully FL sizing won't be necessary, just mouth sizing and bullet crimping.
Instead of inserting this question into threads that aren’t relevant, you’ll be more likely to get an appropriate response by just starting your own thread.

Just my two-cents on "safety".

Machines don't have senior moments. Therefore, the more the process is automated, the "safer" it is. Conversely, the more a human is in charge of the steps, the more likely a forum posting about a KABOOM.

Off my soapbox now :)

I just knocked out 50 rounds of 40sw on my Dillon SDB, I didn't time it, but I'd guess it was less than 10 minutes.

Back