How long is the barrel on your HD shotgun?

Mossberg 500 with 18" bbl....I love my H&R Topper Deluxe 12 ga. single shot, but it has a longer bbl. It's so light, though, I have considered it....much easier to handle.
Cut it, brah:

20161202_192112-1.jpg

Best thing I ever did to a single shot. Easy to handle? You ain't seen easy to handle till you cut one to 18.5".

Both 20"...

My 870 Police came like that. The Ithaca was a Ducks Unlimited Guide Gun, which I used to donate furniture for another shotgun. Rose Action Sports cut the rib down around 20", so it was at a support.

nxZL2ZF.jpg

Only 2 shotguns I own are a pair of Maverick 88's, 20 inch barrel 7 round tube capacity + 1
They're cylinder bore, I wish they could take chokes.

I've got one with a 22 inch barrel with the ability for choke tubes with an 8 shot mag tube. This seems to work for me well.
What model do you have?

Only 2 shotguns I own are a pair of Maverick 88's, 20 inch barrel 7 round tube capacity + 1
They're cylinder bore, I wish they could take chokes.

Any good gunsmith can thread them for chokes......

Any good gunsmith can thread them for chokes......
Had not thought about that.. Any idea what a smith would charge.
It would make the guns a lot more useful if they could take a choke.

I've never taken a gun to a smith since I do it all my self but threading a barrel would be outside my DIY skills.

I've never taken a gun to a smith since I do it all my self but threading a barrel would be outside my DIY skills.

Rose Action Sports lists threading at $75. I'm sure it is similar.

In regards to 12 Gauge, for Remington, Winchester, Browning, and Mossberg chokes, the outside barrel diameter must be at least 0.845". Tru-Choke "Thinwall" tubes need 0.805".

I don'e know how useful chokes are on a short barreled security gun, but shooting skeet with an 18.5" cylinder bore pump is giggles.

Rose Action Sports lists threading at $75. I'm sure it is similar.

In regards to 12 Gauge, for Remington, Winchester, Browning, and Mossberg chokes, the outside barrel diameter must be at least 0.845". Tru-Choke "Thinwall" tubes need 0.805".
Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep that in mind although for these cheap shotguns I'd probably just buy another 88 in field configuration for cost of having them both threaded.. just be nice to have it on the shorter security models.

I don'e know how useful chokes are on a short barreled security gun, but shooting skeet with an 18.5" cylinder bore pump is giggles.
Choke plays a big role in how the shot spreads out.
The primary reason you use longer barrels for things like duck hunting is the longer barrel is easier to track.. actually I might not be describing that right.. um.. It has a longer smoother sweep if that makes any sense.

Cylinder bores suck for distance with shot, with the 18.5 barrel did you find it hard to track the clay's? Or have trouble with breaking them?

Actually that is a good description. A longer barrel generally smooths out the swing.
Back in the day folks believed that longer barrels "hit harder" and that is not the case, but it makes for good advertising copy.

The barrel on my SBT is 34"

Pumps and autoloaders "feel" longer as the receiver is much longer vs. a break open gun.

Long barrels have always been the case in trap, long barrels are currently popular in skeet. Lots of older skeet guns out these with short barrels. 24 and 26 inch are common.

Mike Orlen (a gunsmith and moderator on ShotgunWorld) does this work
(413) 256-1630 during Eastern time zone work hours
Call him and ask what he can do for you.

Discount?

Support those who support our forum.
Mike Orlen is a good guy, and I do believe he offers a discount for forum members.

Back