How long is the barrel on your HD shotgun?

bspillman

I've got one with a 22 inch barrel with the ability for choke tubes with an 8 shot mag tube. This seems to work for me well.

24". I've had some in the past from 18.5"-22". I tend to prefer something 20-22" but a shotgun isn't very high on my list of HD weapons. I have a hunting shotgun with a 24" barrel that could be used if needed. A little longer than ideal, but...

Mossy 500 ATP with 8 rd. mag. & 20" barrel (Alabama State Trooper Trade-In)

Beautiful Nickel finished Winchester Model 12 with 18 1/2"

Older Remington 870 with 18 1/2" (Tallassee, AL Police Dept. Trade-In)

Another Mossberg 500 checking in at 20" . However I also have an off-brand, ancient, single-shot sawn off to 18", which I have dedicated to the use of nonlethal/less lethal ammunition.

My HD shotgun (870) has an 18.5" bbl. Any shorter wouldn't buy me anything since the magazine is already longer than the barrel. :D

Mossberg 500 with 18" bbl....I love my H&R Topper Deluxe 12 ga. single shot, but it has a longer bbl. It's so light, though, I have considered it....much easier to handle.

It's a 22" bbl with 8 shot tube and choke tubes. Rwmington 1100 Tactical, super reliable and very awesome.

It might soon be my 18.5" bbl 870P that I am kitting out for HD work since it is smaller and easier to hold on a suspect for extended time periods due to reduced weight.

14". I bought a Mossberg Shockwave. As usual, those who never owned one or shot one, will put it down. but there are many videos online that show you can hit what you are aiming at out to 15 yards, shooting both from the hip or aiming it like a handgun. It is perfect for home defense where a long barrel is a negative, not an asset. Try entering or exiting rooms in a simulated training exercise to see what I mean.

I learned very quickly during training that you cannot lead with your barrel when exiting/entering a room or turning corners. I also learned that if you turn rapidly in a hallway, your barrel can slam against a wall. For those reasons I never used a shotgun for home defense until now.

My primary HD firearm is a 9mm pistol - Glock 17 or Walther P99AS - (which makes much more sense for my situation than a shotgun), but an M590A1 with an 18.5" barrel is accessible if needed.

Back