How long do black powder and caps last?

How long does Black Powder and caps last?

Around my house about 6 months.

How long does substitutes last?

Around my house a bout 2 months longer than real Black powder or until I can order more...

Seriously, if stored properly it's good for many years.

I had a jug of Pyrodex R for about 12 years then used it up recently and had no issues. Stored in a cool dry place the whole time.

Real BP doesn't stay around long enough for me to speak from personal experience on that point.

Went to an Auction, and in the Garage was a simple Cardboard shoe box that had some Black Powder odds and ends, It had half a Tin of Musket Caps, and 4 tins of No 10 caps..

There was a receipt in the box dating back to 1965. (not for the caps)

The Garage was a cement floored unattached building with no heat or cooling.

All of the Tins showed surface rusting where the paint covering had been rubbed away. 2 of the tins had rusted shut so badly that to open them I was forced to open the tins with a screwdriver by bending the lid open.

Every darn cap fired. I did not toss any caps before hand,

No rust was inside the containers

[I"]my cap & baller was a half-empty can of Pyrodex P that my uncle had for at least 30 years. Shot as good as the next [/I]"

A friend bought a can when it first reached this area (which would have made it about two years after introduction.) He didn't like it and left it in his garage until a few years ago. This involved temperaturers rangiing from +5f to +110F. Shooting it in revolvers, we found it a few feet per second slower on average than a new can and every bit as consistent as to extreme velocity spread. Would think that the different velocities might be a factor of lot variation as early gunwriter data tended to show p/dex slower than current results.

Have also shot black powder ranging from 50-100 years old with performance much like current goex.
attachment.php

Attachments

• pyrodexold..jpg
    pyrodexold..jpg
    136 KB · Views: 248
Back