How long do black powder and caps last?

ate3quartr

Inactive
Folks,

Happy 2014 to everyone. This is my first post.

I used to shoot with the NSSA back in the mid-90s. I have a pound of Goex 3F and some percussion caps approaching 20 years old. Are they still good?

Thanks,

About 4 or 5 years ago, I found an old can of Dupont Goex powder in a cupboard in my garage that I bought in the early '70s. There was enough powder for about 50 shots and I loaded it up in my '58 Remington and it worked like it was brand new.

Real black powder will last indefinitely if kept dry.
I am still using caps I had in my shop in the 1970s. Can only sumise they will last much longer than that.

The first powder I ran through my cap & baller was a half-empty can of Pyrodex P that my uncle had for at least 30 years. Shot as good as the next can I bought.

I tried Pyrodex and it began clumping in a twist lid bottle after 2 years. I wouldn't depend on it being stable very long.

I have at least one container of Pyrodex at the moment that is several years old and there are certainly no clumps in there. Neither were there in the can my uncle bought in the 80s.

Real black or substitute, keep it in a cool, dry place like a basement and the stuff will last.

What about powders like Pyrodex?

Different brands of synthetic powders use different chemicals/formulas. Many are citric acid based and, reportedly (I don't use them) begin deteriorating as soon as the can is opened. I have no idea how long they retain full effectiveness. Another reason I don't/won't use them.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I think my questions are of the same vein as the OP.
How would I go about checking Pyrodex to see if it is good. I have 2 large bottles (once each of P and RS) about 1/2 full each. They have been stored inside the safe for about 10years, being used little by little for shooting the Hawken, Jukar pistol and Pietta 1860.
Last time I used them was maybe 2 years ago.

They are both dry, and not clumped at all, no moisture that I can see.
Is there a point that it could become unstable and dangerous, or is it just a matter of reliability?

Use it and don't worry about it. Pyrodex is basically the same as real bp but with less potassium nitrate with the difference being made up with potassium perchlorate. I've used opened bottles that were stored in an attic for well over ten years.

Use it and don't worry about it.

+1

I quit using Triple Seven back in 06.
Quit shooting Pyrodex about the end of 08 when I switched to APP.

Just last summer, I found 3 1/2 lb.(1/2lb in an open container, 3ea.- 1lb unopened containers) of T7 all of which had a date of 2005 and 1/2lb. of Pyrodex having a date of 2007.

My rifle being sighted in with the APP shooting fresh 2013 powder, I wanted to see where my projectile would hit using the older powders as I had always heard powders would lose their efficiency over time.

Using equivalent charges and the same bullets, I found no drop in POI(furthest shots -100yds) with the older powders in relationship to the new powder.

I know this is not a scientific test...just did it for my own info.

YMMV

FWIW,

Have changed powders once again to Blackhorn 209 and have found that my POI is a bit higher(2-3" @ 100yds) with it versus the APP shooting the same powder equivalence before re-zeroing. Am still having fun experimenting with the BH209. Weather permitting. :rolleyes:

Still shooting 1, 2, & 3F from John Venskoske's N-SSA barn circa 1980.
Have moved it over the years from VA to AL to CA to NM, and back to VA.

Still perfect. ;) :D

I still have a can of powder that I bought back in the mid 1960's as well as several tins of musket caps from when I first shot NSSA - they work fine. If it's kept dry - powder and caps will last.

Back