How is the Remington 870?

i look at the prices at wally world, 50.00 for a flat of federal trap loads verse 74.00 at the LGS, wally world winchester M-22 bulk pack of 500 for 24.00 verse 40.00 LGS and my latest buy this morning three boxs of winchester varmite HV 17 win. super mag- 20gr,3000fps for14.77 a box, i don,t know what the LGS wants as they don,t have any. i would buy at the LGS if their prices were even close to WW. if i bought three flats of federal shotgun shells and three bulk packs of the m-22,s at both places i would save 120.00 by buying at wally world. that would just about be like giving me two extra flats of shotgun shells and a bulk pack of win m-22,s free. eastbank.

Last edited:
My point exactly^

LGS' are only good for buying guns and hard to get ammo, IMO. Which if you're like me. All I use is hard to find, to a degree. Except for 54R. That's fairly common. And I hand load Swiss. So I don't buy ammo very often.

i buy the promo federal 4 box packs for 19.94 a pack(thats 100 shells), or 4.98 for a single box of 25 and that works out to 49.80 for a flat of 10 boxs or 250 shells. so far i have bought 26 four box packs or 2600 rounds and that is 10.4 flats and i buy all i can. the promo winchester four box packs are 28.00 and when the federal,s go baclk up to 28.00 i,ll start to reload again with my hoard of cheap loading supplies(25.00 bags of shot-22.00 1K primers-7.00-500 wads- 14.00 lb powder) eastbank.

Last edited:
I've worked on guns that have problems for many years. The 870 is my least likely to be seen. When they are its likely a case of neglect (i.e. rust). The BPS is not used all that much here but seem well made though the design changes the operating angles which seems to me to make them feel less smooth. The M12 Winchester is likely the smoothest shotgun I've used the parts supply is fading and they are more difficult than the 870. The 500 series Mossberg don't last well. The receivers wear allowing premature unlocking upon firing.. The Winchester rotating locking bolt (1200 models) are very strong and quite fast. They have quality issues and fail.. Autos are great but can pose issues with maintenance issues with the worst culprits being the gas guns. The 870 causes fewer problems for the least money outlay. IMHO.. I would advise a good used 'Wingmaster' over any of the 'Express' models. The 12 gauge is preferred for its universal use.

I bought them from WalMart once for that price ($20 for a 4 box pak), but they only had them locally for that price once. I bought 8 of the 200 count flats and wish I bought more. A 100 count, four box pak, is usually about $27, when they are in stock, but they haven't had them at any price for weeks. The best I have been able to do around here is a flat of Gun Clubs for $65 and right now I wish I had bought more when I had the chance.

i like the federal bulk pack,s,but they will dry up i,m sure. i have tried the wally world spanish shells for 5.88 a box and i like them, i shot a 48-50, 23-25 and a 25-25 three weeks ago with them one oz #7.5 at 1315 fps and they burn pretty clean. dunhams here sell flats of the rem-reo and fed,s for about 60.00 on sale,but regularly sell for 74.00. eastbank.

Back