How is SAKO pronounced?

SAKO is an acronym for a name...

And so are BREN, Brno, SKS, AK, AR, and a lot of other terms we use as common names. There's still a right way to pronounce it.

Thanks for the heads up on what Sako means...

Chuck Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44AMP
Sako is a name...
Not quite.

SAKO is an acronym for a name: Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Oy, Finnish for Civil Guard Gun and Machiningworks Ltd.

if we are nitpicking (which can be fun:p)

I think it has kinda moved into a brandname, they write it Sako on their own website, therefor it is a anacronym

pronounce it like this, like the last za in pizza + the co in coroner

zaco;)

but if you don't then it is no big deal, this is how a finn pronounces some american brand names
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNlPfQi9sXI
:D

Husqvarna said:
... like the last za in pizza...

Carefully there! Rather too many Americans will pronounce the a in pizza as the schwa, ə, the universal unpronounced vowel.

SUCK-O just will not do!;)

Besides Sako = Socko...the correct Finnish pronunciation for the 300 Lapua is "Lap-wa", not La-pua.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, even text-to-speech programs recognize the sako is pronounced "sock-o".

I'm in the United States, and I speak American. As such, it is Say-ko.

I'm proud to be an American but even I recognize our unfortunate tendency to bastardize words from other languages. Just because it's common doesn't mean we should.;)

Classic example being bombardier. We say "Bomb-ber-deer" while it should be bomb-bar-dee-A.

It's always been funny to me how we'll argue over clip versus magazine or whether a revolver is a pistol but we think nothing of saying foreign words any way we please.:D

It's always been funny to me how we'll argue over clip versus magazine or whether a revolver is a pistol but we think nothing of saying foreign words any way we please.
They do the same for us, in their own countries.

Classic example being bombardier. We say "Bomb-ber-deer" while it should be bomb-bar-dee-A.
I don't.
Even so... In American English, it would be pronounced "bom-bar-deer". I don't see a problem. I'd much rather see someone pronounce something in their own way, than try to force something unnatural on them. (Like Ws for Germans, Ls for Japanese, etc. - It's unnatural, when forced into their native tongue.)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to help my neighbor find some spark plug wires for his Tschebby truck. ;)

I'm proud to be an American but even I recognize our unfortunate tendency to bastardize words from other languages.
My last name is extremely rare, in fact the only other person with my last name in Chicago is my sister and a good chunk of the rest in the whole country are related. I've come to find that it's actually a bastardization/Americanization of a fairly common German name, presumably my ancestors who came over from Germany (or whatever city-state they came from since Germany wasn't even a country then) were illiterate and couldn't even write their own name so some immigration official just created a spelling for them. :p

I don't mind if someone wants to pronounce the M-1 Garand as in Ga-rand.... but the correct pronunciation is: Gar-and.

Well, by definition our language(American English) is a "bastardized" language. I would say that Southern is a further bastardization of American English. I can Say Remington, Winchester, Savage, and Ruger just fine.

Back