How hot can you go in a 625 .45 ACP?

The load used the weaker 45 auto rimmed case, 14 grains of 2400 and a 255 grain lead SWC. This is off the top of my head, so if you can't confirm it, don't use it. The writer claimed 1200 FPS from a Smith & Wesson 625 chambered in 45 ACP.

The following is from an older RCBS manual I have,

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

from RCBS Reloading Guide (1973), page 44

Sixgun Loads
By Elmer Keith, Shooting Editor, GUNS & AMMO Magazine

IMPORTANT
Here are a few important rules to follow before attempting the following loads.

1. Full Length size cases in all calibers so they will hold a bullet so firmly that you cannot turn it in the case with the fingers before the crimp is administered.

2. Use a full heavy crimp on all revolver loads so bullets cannot jump forward.

3. Cast bullets should consist of one part tin to 16 parts lead (unless otherwise indicated).

4. After casting, size all bullets to the exact groove diameter of the particular gun.

5. Pistol powders are usually fine grain and it is imperative that you carefully weigh or throw the powder charge.

.45 AUTO RIM
The Ideal #454424 cast bullet (cast very hard with one part tin to 10 parts lead or pure typemetal) and sized to .451" for Colt and S&W 1917 revolvers and the S&W 1950 target models. For "big" loads use the auto rim case and 14 grains of 2400 powder to push the bullet. Four or 5 grains of Bullseye or 6 grains of Unique using the same bullet make great light loads.

This is crazy!

Think we opened a major can of worms.

Thanks for posting Good Guys. Kind of shows that my mind is like a vault. Can still get stuff, when I remember the combination. :)

Robert

WILD MAN (our hero)

Please remember that E. K. was NOT AFRAID, blew up guns, and generally pushed the edge.

Your results may vary. This is one case where I side with safety.

Yes.

I've seen it. Been to the Dan Wesson webiste a couple of times and talked ot their tech support.

It's just that once they started operations up again as the "new" Dan Wesson company, they haven't picked up many mainstream gun dealers. The tech even warned me about buying some of the older DWs out there. Apparenlty some were made using outdated machines and tooling therefore they had tolerance problems.

Seems like they are moving in the right direction except for their venture into the 1911 market.

One of the biggest dealers in WA refuses to stock their line and will order one for you. But he's had more than a couple of Monday guns from the DW custom shop.

Lots of good ideas but they will have to prove themselves all over again to sell guns $200 over their competition.

I don't like that they won't honor warranties on older DWs. Its not a good customer service move.
But the DW 640 does look sweet. But for the money, I'd rather buy a Ruger 480 or a 454 Casuall. Just not much interest in driving the 45 ACP 200/230 grain bullet past 1,000 fps from anybody.

DW is also going to make a 9mm revolver.

I do like their vented ribs on their barrels though.;)

Though it's built on the same N frame as S&W's .44 Magnums, we don't know that the metal is the same strength. We DO know that - because of the larger case diameter - there's less metal. Particularly under the bolt notches.

I believe the revolver will be OK for any commercial-equivalent load, including +P's, but I won't try to make a magnum out of it.
CAUTION: The following loading data is 'way beyond currently published maximums. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this data!

FWIW, Speer's #8 manual included some super-hot .45 ACP/.45AR revolver loads - like, IIRC, up to 11.5 grains of Unique under a 185 (or 200?) grain slug. Ouch!

Back