How hot can you go in a 625 .45 ACP?

AndABeer

Will be picking up a 625 in .45 ACP today. I have been bitten by the moon clip bug I guess. I was wondering how hot I can load this thing. Can I approach/match/exceed .45 Super levels without fear of damage to myself or the gun?

Not as hot as you can go with a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .45 ACP... :D

Seriously though, you should be able to shoot ANY .45 Super load in a 625 because I think they are proofed at 45,000 and are sustainable at 35,000 psi. .45 Super is 28,000 psi...

Be careful, and have fun...

mod 625

Keep in mind that the 625 is an N frame, designed for 44 magnum. I would think that you could hotrod the 45 acp significantly. Just use your common sense and work your loads up very slowly. I have a 610 and routinely shoot 200 grain Normas @ 1200fps in it. That should give you an idea of the capabilities we are dealing with. Have fun and be careful.

Just because the 625 is an N Frame doesn't mean it is the same thing as a Model 29. To my knowledge Slime & Weasle heat treats their magnums differently than the standard pressure chamberings.
I have an older 625 and limit it to the top loads for 45 Auto Rim as found in the reloading manuals.
If you need more than that you should have bought a different gun, like a Magnum, IMO.

I believe that the S&W Model 625 will handle anything in the .45 Super pressure range EASILY...since Clark Custom is re-chambering the 625 to .460 Rowland, I don't forsee problems with any loads appreciably lower in pressure than the Rowland rounds....FWIW....mikey357

The Smith & Wesson N frame cylinder in 44 Magnum is rated to 40000 CUP (42000 CUP absolute maximum). The same cylinder in 45 LC is rated at 80% of that number or 32000 CUP. Same recommended maximum for a Ruger six shot cylinder. Forty-five super is well within this margin.

By the way, H.P Whites lab in a controlled test destroyed a Ruger Blackhawk a 80000 CUP. In the same test, a model 29 was destroyed at the same pressure, dissolving any doubt that the Smith & Wesson is a weaker firearm. That is simply a myth! It's the small parts that can't take the pounding. Either gun will KB if pushing the limits of pressure.

Robert

Dave T,

The .45 AR data you find these days is very conservative because they have to take into account all the 1917's (in various conditions) that are out here. Just like you always see seperate data in .45 Colt for the T/C and ruger revolvers because there is lots of old Colts SA's out there that were built a long time ago.

Todays weapons are much improved over those older firearms. The 625's can handle allot more than the .45 AR loads. I am not a big fan of pushing the lighter bullets fast but I do like to shoot 250 gr. bullets out at speeds that beat the normal 45 Colt loadings.

John Linebaugh, the big-bore guru, says that the problem with the 625 (and S&W guns in general) is not so much a strength problem but a design problem. S&W designed the N-frame gun for 40,000 psi. But Linebaugh claims that, because of inherent design weaknesses, in effect, S&W put a 40,000 psi cylinder on a 30,000 psi frame. He considers 32,000 psi to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefers to hold his personal loads to 5% under those listed loads for approximately 25,000 psi.

Intel,
I have an older Lyman manual that lists AR loads that are a little stouter than the ACP version. That was what I was referring to. Haven't really looked at the newer manuals for Auto Rim loads but in these days of lawyers making all the rules for companys to avoid liability, I wouldn't be surprised if AR loads are kind of wimpy.

How Hot in 625?

Find a good reloading manual and reload only the AUTO-RIM loads. remember, the S & W barrels are no longer pinned. The can stress and turn on you. Try to get the cylinder closed when you stress it.

Dave T,

You are right, I also have some older data. When you compare most AR data against ACP data you will find that it only is the middle range ACP loads.

45 Auto Rim Load Data For SW 625?

Can any of you post any 45 Auto Rim or AR loading data here?

The new manuals I've looked at only show the 255 SWCs going 800-900 fps. Its not even worth loading and buying the new 45 AR cases and the 255s if you can't drive them to hunting velocities. Better off loading 45Super ammo.

And I've been told that the 255 grain SWCs can be driven to 1200 + fps for deer hunting or small game hunting.

Can you dig up your old reloading manuals and post the data here? Caveats accepted, full disclaimer acknowledged.

AndABeer,

Clark's does a .45 Super conversion for the 625 so I would think that it would be safe with any .45 acp loads, even the +P stuff. To be sure you should probably pop over to the S&W site and get the (800) number and give them a call.

J.T.,

Here a bunch of great .45 acp loads:

http://realguns.com/loads/45auto.htm

I've not loaded the Auto Rim, but wouldn't any load for the .45 acp be okay in the .45 auto rim?
Maybe someone more knowledgeable will help out...

Joe

FACT

If you run 255's at 1200fps you will bend your S&W.
Suggest limiting 255's to under 1100fps (Hodgdon UNIVERSAL CLAYS).

Suggest saving pennies for appropriate caliber Redhawk.

Jimmy Clark, of Clarks Custom Guns in LA, emailed me and said the Smith N frame 25s, (modern ones, not WW2 stuff) will take .45 supers with narry a problem. The gun is way overbuilt for the .45 acp it uses.

Deaf

Hmmm... I think we are overstating the fragility of S&W N-frames just a bit. It's one thing to say that you can wear a 629 with a constant diet of full-house .44 Magnums, but quite another ot say that shooting what amounts to .45 ACP +P/+P+ will wreck a 625.

The load that is being talked about was published by one of the major Gun-zines a number of years ago. There has never been secondary data to support the claim and don't know of anyone who has duplicated such a load. The load used the weaker 45 auto rimmed case, 14 grains of 2400 and a 255 grain lead SWC. This is off the top of my head, so if you can't confirm it, don't use it. The writer claimed 1200 FPS from a Smith & Wesson 625 chambered in 45 ACP.

This load is over maximum, big time! Be happy with current load data or step up to the next cartridge size. Your fingers and face will thank you for it.

Robert

Robert, I'm curious about the White Labs test you refer to. Can you provide a link? I'm wondering, in all fairness, if both guns were given equal amounts in steadily increasing loads.

VictorLouis,

John Linebaugh wrote about the White labs test in an article some time ago and he did not dispute the testing that was done. He went on to say that the problem with Smith & Wesson was not a strength issue, but one of all those small moving parts that work the action. He does have an article online and mentions the White lab test, but no details.

Here is the article, if you are interested. Great 45 LC information. It gave me some confidence to push the 45 LC envelope in my S&W. I'll now shoot anything that is labeled Ruger or stronger, just as long as the load remains below maximum levels for a six gun.

http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/dissolving.htm

Robert

One reason the books show very moderate loads for the .45AR is that many of them are fired in the old Webley Mk VI and even older Webleys that were originally made for the .455. These are weak guns compared to any of the S&W or Colt .45ACP revolvers and will (not might) come apart with hot loads.

Jim

Back