How has your every day carry changed over the years?

Like someone else here said, I carried in some circumstances long before it was legal, but it wasn’t every day. Can’t really count that. By the time I could carry legally I had a Sig 226, but that was too big (for me) to edc, so I picked up a Ruger SP101. That got heavy, too, and was only a five-shooter. I let myself be talked into a Kel-Tec P11, but I never could like that thing. Then I rotated through a Smith 469 and a Smith 908, but I couldn’t like them, either. Somewhere in there I bought a Beretta 3032 to carry when I needed something really small. I finally settled forever on a Sig 239. Until I started carrying a Smith 36 - back to a five-shooter. [I had several revolvers that were fun guns, and found that I enjoyed shooting revolvers more than semi-autos.] I switched to a Ruger LCRX and loved it and was set forever. Until the arthritis in my hands made even the LCRX hard to handle, and now I carry a Glock 42, which I think will be THE one forever.
I still own most of the guns listed above.

Started with a S&W 645, then one day bought a Glock 17 Gen3, Glock 19 Gen2, Sig P226, and a full size M&P 357Sig.

Tried each of those for a while then came across a great deal on a M&P compact.

Tried another G19, then a full size M&P 9, another M&P Compact, and have now settled on a Shield in 9mm.

First EDC was a Charter Arms Undercover, later supplanted by several S&W Model 36s in both 2" barrel and 3" barrel versions. It was quite some time before I made the switch to a semi-auto; starting with an AMT Back-Up and then a Colt Mustang. Currently I have two other .380s (a KelTec P3AT and a SIG P238), a 9mm. (a Kahr CM9), and two S&W J frames (a Model 649 and a Model 638); all taking their turns in my EDC rotation.

I started shooting 1911s when I was 9 so when I had to carry one in my first job out of college was glad it was a 1911 (in a vertical shoulder holster). Had to carry a SIG P220 for a time and that was O.K. These days I still carry a 1911, a LW Commander. I did try a small 3 inch 1911 for a time. When I boony bang on the weekends I usually carry a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt.

Well the first gun i carried when i got my CCW was a Sig Scorpion 1911 ( carry size ) and bought a king tuck holster, that i found didnt work all that well, so i burned it... literally lol.. and got a good iwb kydex holster.. a few months later, i bought a couple glocks 19/22/21, along with IWB kydex holsters and also started carrying those too....

right now i am debating between a G17 or a G20 lol......for my next handgun

First few years I carried a Ruger LCP. Still do if it's all the outfit allows. Bout 3-4 years ago switched my EDC to a Walther PPS M1 9mm. It has been flawless.

When doing my lawyer thing I always carry a decently large messenger bag, and I keep my 8-year-old, 10K+ round with 0 stoppages, Beretta PX4 .40 with a reload. The very first of my now 23 firearms :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started out carrying my PF9 and still do on occasion. My carry weapon of choice now is my XDS 45 4.0. I'm seriously thinking about going with something like a Glock 19 or similar to up the round count. At least that's my reason for another gun and I'm sticking to it. :D

I started out carrying a government 1911. I wanted to carry what I shot best.

Then I found I could shoot an air weight j frame pretty well and it was much easier to carry so I got a S&W 638.

This got me on a big revolver kick and I went to a S&W model 66.

I finally got around to getting a Glock 19. I wanted one for a long time. It is now my everyday carry with a Streamlight TLR-1 HL. After shooting it for a while, I now shoot it better than all the others and it has a much higher capacity and comes in a reasonably sized package. I am on the Glock train now.

I also have an LCP for those few times where the Glock is not feasible to carry.

I've downsized from carrying my Springfield V16 LongSlide in 45 Super, to a Springfield Pro. I still carry the V16 in bear country. I don't see myself going any smaller, too old to change ...

At my age you'd think I'd going lighter than heavier or the same. I presently am going with Glock 19 gen 4. carry it everyday & everywhere allowed.
I used to carry one of 3 Rugers 357 mags. A GP100 4", SP101 2.25"and a LCR
1.87". Even with speed loaders for all 3, I am starting to feel under armed given today's unrest and rash of out of the blue assaults. Since I am not a trained LEO(had 3 years as a AuxLEO in 1970's)shooting at the range and shooting under duress are 2 different animals.
That's when I started to research semis. So that's where I am today.

I've really only carried three guns from 1997 to present.

In 1997 I received serious death threats because I exposed criminal fraud against a friend including false criminal charges. I lived in California and tried to get a CCW permit only to be told I didn't have the political connections or campaign contribution record to score. I fought that pretty hard from 1998 to 2005, moving to WA state in the latter year to follow a new job. In California I occasionally (and illegally) carried first a 4-shot Freedom Arms .22magnum minirevolver (no, NOT a North American Arms!) with a 1.5" barrel, and later upgraded to a Charter Arms 38 snubbie that was a surprisingly good specimen.

I carried that Charter legally in WA state.

On moving to Arizona in 2006 I started carrying my New Vaquero single action wheelgun bought in 2005, originally a 357Magnum. That gun is still my daily carry (I'm now based in Alabama but travel frequently) but it has evolved (some might say "mutated") over the years. Before I left Arizona in early 2013 I finished converting it to magazine feeding and gas-powered shell ejection in 9mmPara (9mm+P+ very capable). I cannot tell anybody my carry method for...reasons. The gun is carried with five in the cylinder, two in the first short magazine, two 9rd extended mags for reloads...or if I smell trouble I can take out the 2rd mag, put 9 on top of five in the cylinder for 14 with no reload. Switchover from cylinder feeding to magazine feeding is automatic, and gives an actual "clunk" sound when the first of the mag rounds slams forward into the cylinder telling me I'm down to 3 rounds if I started with 7.

It's called "Maurice" because "some people call it the Space Cowboy"...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/03/03/maurice-frankenruger-magazine-fed-revolver/

Probably America's weirdest carry piece and as far as I know the only personal arm with this feed cycle, ever. I'd call it insane to carry except I can't get it to jam - the "feed path" is absolutely dead straight and doesn't care about OAL, it'll eat empty shells or weird stuff that would choke a Glock. I keep planning to make some 9mm wadcutters using Penn Bullet's 100gr double ended wadcutters in .356"...should get me 10 or maybe 11 in the long mags, maybe 3 in the short for eight out of the holster.

Smaller and smaller. Started with a full size 1911. Went to a S&W M39. Then a PPK. For past two years been packing a Taurus TCP 380. Truly small pistol. I don't like carrying a gun so I want the smallest and lightest thing I can get away with (a 25 ACP would not be there).

I seem to be going the other way around. Started with a Jennings .22 (before I knew any better), a SW Model 60, Ruger SR9C, SW1911 Sub-Compact, and on occasion, a SW 686+ with a 2.5" barrel.

Carried the Jframe for 16+ years. My most constant companion. It's gone everywhere with me and I still pull it out from EDC retirement on occasion whenever it's the only gun I can carry concealed due to attire. I mostly rotate between the SR9C and SW1911 these days depending on the season. Tried carrying a Walther PK380 for a brief time years ago, but that gun was never reliable enough for me and I was not completely sold on the .380. Reverted back to the jframe until the SR9C came along.

The .357 is strictly a woods gun for me.

First got my carry license 18 years ago. I carried what I had which was an East German Makarov. I had a fobus paddle holster for it back then. Not too bad of a setup at the time. I also purchased a S&W 637 airweight snubnose. Used a fobus paddle for that as well. Finally bought a Kahr K40 and carried that IWB in a nylon belt clip holster or a leather belt slide OWB.

Fast forward many years. Living in a new state. Have my current license and started carrying my Kahr again. I used the leather belt slide and it wasn't too bad. My brother bought me a N82 tactical holster. It was not that great and hard to draw from.

I have acquired a Ruger LC9s as well and now carry that a lot.

About the biggest change is my holster setup. I make kydex ones for my own use and have one for my Makarov, Kahr, 637, and LC9s. They are all the same style, so switching guns is easy.

The other change is my quick access safe, simpex style. This allows for ease of access to my carry gun(s) which stay loaded in the holster in the safe. I just grab the gun I want and slip it on and I'm done.

I do like having a couple of different carry guns. I practice with all of them at the range. For example, sometimes the snubnose will be loaded with a couple rounds of snake shot if I'm taking it as my camping carry gun.

I went from various sizes, shapes and models of 1911s to double stack 9mms to a medium sized Glock 23 (double stack .40S&W).

I only go back to 9mm when I need a pocket gun.

It is amazing how many choices there are out there these days.

Back