How hard is it to conceal a full size handgun IWB?

In my opinion, IWB is a royal PITA...for me, it's a size larger in jeans, a larger belt...I much prefer to tailor my shirt or jacket length to prevent "printing". I've used several Galco's over the years, and found them all uncomfortable, and sweat from my upper body did no good for some of my blued-steel-beauties. My draw from an IWB also resulted in "covering" a portion of my body I'd rather not have ventilated with a 230 gr .45 slug.

HTH's Rod

Please, tell me you weren't doing the Hollywood behind the hip cross draw IWB... That is the only way I can see self muzzling through the draw, unless you're in a horse stance.

n my opinion, IWB is a royal PITA...for me, it's a size larger in jeans, a larger belt...I much prefer to tailor my shirt or jacket length to prevent "printing". I've used several Galco's over the years, and found them all uncomfortable, and sweat from my upper body did no good for some of my blued-steel-beauties.
I wear my normal pant (and belt size), and find it works better than sizing up. There is initial snugness when the gun is first inserted, but the fabric quickly gives and everything feels natural and comfortable. That slight snugness really helps hold the gun/holster in place and eliminates the excess slop and holster movement you get with oversize pants.

Besides the "slop", from my experience, sizing up offers two other major negatives. One, your pants dont fit when the gun isnt present, and two, your pants look like they dont fit. The waist isnt the only thing that increases in size when you go up. Proportionally, everything looks off.

Holster wise, I had the same sweat issues as you with the Galco's, and a number of others. Comfort usually wasnt an issue as long as the holster wasnt against bare skin. If you sweat, especially if youre active, leather is a poor choice for an IWB holster. Luckily, they came up with kydex, and the problem was solved. No more rusty guns and rubbed raw skin.

My draw from an IWB also resulted in "covering" a portion of my body I'd rather not have ventilated with a 230 gr .45 slug.
Im assuming youre referring to the "appendix" position here. Not my favorite either, but more for comfort reasons than for shooting myself reasons. I suppose if you were seated it could be an issue. Then again, it can be an issue with a number of other holster choices, IWB, OWB, and a few other methods of carry. Practicing proper draw techniques pretty much eliminates the issue with any of them.

I can pretty easily if I wear anything heavier than a regular T-shirt. I always carry IWB and never have had to "size up" my jeans. A good holster and belt are key.

My .. erm.. stature dictates that I carry at 3 o'clock or just in front of that, hides the grip along my gut.

Rb and Ak, each to his own...I wear a strong side OWB holster in the 3 to 4 o'clock position for the most part. The same place where I tried an IWB. Any other position would take 50+ years of carry experience to overcome...and yeah, I know it's just a training issue. As to the comment on "covering" a portion of my anatomy....any re-holster...any...demands care and and slow movements. All that said, I can't accomplish that with any IWB I've tried...just not worth it to me...to take that risk. Maybe a guy with a string bean body type or snake hips can accomplish the re-holster, but it's not my cupa tea! Best Regards, Rod

Used to do the 1911 IWB in my thinner years :), now there are other 45 options that weigh a lot less and still conceal in a good OWB rig.
Like the others said, body type and clothing options factor in as well.

It is definitely doable. A loose shirt or jacket helps keep you from printing with the longer handle of a full size. An FBI cant holster helps reduce printing and muzzle poking when you sit down (4 O'clock position).

I have found that some holsters are comfortable and others painful when carrying IWB. It's a matter of finding one that works for you.

Back