How hard is it to conceal a full size handgun IWB?

Is it really that hard? Or is it more people dont want to wear jeans 1 size bigger? All personal preferance?

I would guess it depends on your frame, your clothing options and your holster. Me being female, its doubtful I will carry a full size model. I'm not a small woman, but certain clothing options just wouldn't work with a full size (you won't be wearing skirts, so you don't have to worry about that - hehehe). I guess really its host you are comfortable with and are able to conceal properly.

I find it pretty comfortable, but it took several fits and starts to warm up to: the position matters a lot and leather is way more comfortable than kydex, although a kydex shell on leather mounting works well too. I haven't tried it, but it seems AIWB wouldn't work well if you ever had to sit. For me, a 1911 at 3:30 - 4:00 is rather nice. Cover garment, no tuck.

I have been carrying a kahr cw9 Iwb for about two years, but only recently started carrying a Glock 23. If you are talking about the difference between carrying a compact and a full size gun, I have found it a non issue. I am 6' and about 185, and I have no problem. I carry iwb at 4:00 and loosely tuck my shirt around the gun, blouse my shirt out a bit and forget about it. it is easy enough. FYI, I do get my pants in a size larger, so if I am not carrying there, I just cinch my belt up a notch.

I have seen a good sized guy (6'+, 250) IWB a Full sized Desert Eagle. Not that noticeable till he pulled it out then the previous 'bulge' was a little more obvious. Business casual dress, 6 o'clock carry.

I can conceal a full size 1911 but in a few hours the weight starting getting to me.
I'm a good sized guy so I can hid a gun pretty easy.

I've did it for years (CZ 75B, Glock 22, Ruger GP100 4", 1911, XD 45 Tactical, to name a few).
And I've tried a ton of belts, rigs, and holsters.
I've worn baggy clothes, untucked shirts, vests and cover garments that practically yelled "guy with a gun here!".
But no matter what, it was never truly comfortable, and certainly far from convenient.
The best place I found to carry a full-sized handgun was in the small of the back, which has quite a few drawbacks for self defense carry.
After years of battling the situation, I threw in the towel.
Now I carry a pocket pistol.

Every now and then I will carry my GP100.

My cardiologist was on me to loose weight so I was happy when I went down a jean size . . . now I'd hate to have the next size up so I could carry a full size. :D

I tried my SR9 (not as big as a 45 for sure) and I didn't care for it - was too uncomfortable. I am primarily a "wheel gun" lover - tried a couple of 4" models - didn't like them either. For me, the weight was one thing as they got to be heavy after a while. I know a lot of folks can carry with it tucked in side the belt/waistband - it just doesn't appeal to me. I ended up going with a LCR onthe belt and now have a Smith 36 J frame that I really like. I just keep a jacket or a shirt with the tail out over it.

I have know those who carry a full size 1911 IWB - thats what they are used to and they dont seem to mind it. They seem to be able to carry it off without printing. Just not my cup of tea.

It's definitely possible, and the difference in waist size depends on what you're carrying and what kind of holster. E.g., a 1911 in a Raven Phantom (IWB) doesn't cause any shift as both pistol and holster are thin enough to slide in easily. Moving up to a Glock (thicker than the 1911) w/ a SuperTuck (also thicker than the Raven), and I'm reaching for a different pair of pants.

(Honestly if we're talking about full/compact/subcompact in the same frame, you're going to experience the same "waistline" shift... a Glock 26 is just as thick as a 34. You may encounter other considerations with a fullsize, but your waistband will stay the same with the same series. Going to a thin pistol - even a fullsize Kahr - will have a much more dramatic effect on your waitband.)

the longer bbl poking your hip and the longer grip printing or digging into your side when you sit are the common issues some folks have.

body build, holster build, and most importantly position of the rig will all effect this. your attire for ccw is without question.

I think its pretty easy, I IWB a Sig P226 a lot. I use a leather holster with the belt clip, and when I put a little FBI cant on it and I'm good to go. Just get a good leather belt. I don't wear overly large clothes, I do like loose shirts so that helps. Its all personal preference. My full size is usually my spring, fall, and winter gun. But sometimes I wear it IWB in the summer. I have PPKS for the summer.

Its easy - with a good belt and a good horsehide holster IWB - with a full sized 1911 ( 5", steel gun )....

I prefer Kramer leather holsters...

AT 6'5" and 290 lbs....it might be easier for me than others...but it just depends on what your outer garment is... a vest, a windbreaker, a sport coat, a large shirt....all make it pretty easy...

It's not that difficult if you have a decen belt and a proper holster. Depending on your wardrobe and the weather, it can be done both IWB and OWB. I'm one of those old guys who wears a sportscoat almost everywhere, and can carry a full-sized steel pistol OWB under it, and a spare magazine on the opposite side. (Both in case I need it, and to help balance the load.)

Ive been doing it 18/7/365 for about 35 years now, and find it to be the most comfortable and concealable way to wear a gun.

Ive done it fat and skinny, and never really changed how I dressed. I wear the same size pants I would normally wear, a tee shirt, and usually an untucked shirt or sweatshirt/fleece, depending on the time of year. Ive even carried a Colt Commander and a double reload under a tucked in oxford dress shirt for awhile when I had to dress up (doing that was far more uncomfortable than wearing the gun ever was :)).

As others have said, get a good belt and holster, find your "spot", and give it a good chance (it doesnt take long), and you soon wont know its there.

It isn't hard to conceal a full size handgun in a IWB holster. It comes down to how much discomfiture you're willing to endure while you're standing, walking, sitting, running, jumping, skipping, hopping, etc. etc. etc.

I carried a Ruger P90 for a few years and then upgraded to a Kimber Pro CDP II. The size of both is a non issue for me, it's the weight that gets to me, I'm now about 50/50 between the Kimber and an S&W M36, looking into a pocket gun for the nicer weather in summer, that'll probably be either a Ruger LCP or a S&W Bodyguard.

Stu

I have an easy time with it. Contributing factors for me are:

- body type: 6'2", 185 pounds, small waist

- Glock 19 Gen 4

- 3:30-4:00 IWB

- Galco King Tuk (hybrid holster)

- BaldeTech Looper gun belt when needed

- to help kill the print, I wear a wife beater made of thick material underneath my shirt. Beaters breathe very well, so it's very comfortable all year long. This gives me two layers, and the layers slide across each other easily when I move around. That helps prevent 'shelf' prints.

This works all year, in everything from shorts to winter clothing.

Weight would get to me fast but with IWB I could conceal my Desert Eagle (tried it this morning :-) but it won't make my rotation in the near future.

In my opinion, IWB is a royal PITA...for me, it's a size larger in jeans, a larger belt...I much prefer to tailor my shirt or jacket length to prevent "printing". I've used several Galco's over the years, and found them all uncomfortable, and sweat from my upper body did no good for some of my blued-steel-beauties. My draw from an IWB also resulted in "covering" a portion of my body I'd rather not have ventilated with a 230 gr .45 slug.

HTH's Rod

Back