How good of a scope do you really need for a .22

Vortex Crossfires are my go to cheap scope. I realize it might not be the cheapest but its quite nice for around 150 and the bdc and models with adjustable AO are also quite nice.

I have an older model 99M1 Marlin that I wanted to put a scope on, but despised the very thought of putting a new cheapo import scope on it. So I went to the PDX gun show and located some vintage steel-tube Weaver K-4's and selected one that looked like a safe gamble for 50 bucks. It just has plain crosshairs, but so what? It's a centerfire scope on a rimfire rifle and it works great.

still

You can put any scope you want on your plinker.......pickup a budget scope at any of the chain stores that sell'em and have at it. Lots of options sub $100 dollars.

The question is, will it hold up....not necessarily recoil (though I believe the wack/wack of a semi bolt under a scope does indeed create stress) but also in the general transport and carry afield. I still shoot my .22's more than any other firearms I own, and the assurance that I have a "better" scope on the rifles lends to everything being right consistently.

I posted elsewhee that I have a drawer full of budget scopes that quit on me, Tascos, Simmons, Bushnells, and a fair number of those have been on and off .22's, a 10/22 and a Rem Fieldmaster..

When I finally sprung for Leupold rimfires, scope failures stopped. You don't need $300 bucks to get a decent Leupold for your .22. The Leupold rimfires can be found used for about $150 for the fixed 4x models if you watch the auction sites. They are the right size too, tidy enough to fit on a 10/22 and not look all out of proportion.

they will hold up on .22 but... will a variable hold zero? how's parallax? eye relief? fogginess? image clarity? reticle?

A good 22 deserves good optic. no mega zooms required because 150m is just about the max sane range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up purchasing a Cabela's 3 x 9 rimfire specific scope for $79.00. I had the opportunity to test it and several others on dummy stocks and it was best for the money. It was mounted on a Ruger 10/22 takedown. I am waiting for my Wife to get back in town to shoot it, as the rifle is our 26th anniversary present.

Back