How good is the .243?

Laws of physics support the theory that a larger caliber bullet(of similar SD) loaded into a larger capacity case(at similar working pressure) will project higher energy levels at a longer range.
If someone can logically explain how this is incorrect, I'll shelf my 25/06(s) and dust off the 243(s).
As a point of fact, I've found common cup and core construction .257 bullets are as effective as premium construction .243 bullets. I won't attempt to explain this as I don't really care--I just know it works.
Over the past decade, my deer rifles have "freezerized" more deer than many hunters do in a lifetime of "one deer a year" hunting experience. I see what happens day after day, deer after deer.
The .243 is a good compromise round especially for recoil shy hunters. No question of that. There are other unquestionably better "dedicated deer cartridges" with only marginally more recoil.

Mobuck said:
Laws of physics support the theory that a larger caliber bullet(of similar SD) loaded into a larger capacity case(at similar working pressure) will project higher energy levels at a longer range.

I think you mean BC, as BC indicates how well a bullet retains velocity over distance. SD can be higher in a round nose bullet than a Sptizer, but the Spitzer will retain more energy down range than the RN bullet. However, energy does not directly correlate to killing power.

If energy was the main determining factor in what it took to kill deer then you'd see bans on handgun and muzzle loader hunting. I have extensive use with both the .243 and .25-06 and have had very dramatic kills with both. I've also had failures with both and neither was the cartridges fault.

Mobuck said:
Over the past decade, my deer rifles have "freezerized" more deer than many hunters do in a lifetime of "one deer a year" hunting experience. I see what happens day after day, deer after deer.
I see this attitude a lot online, and it's total BS. Just because you kill a lot of deer doesn't invalidate others experience. I'm a one deer a year hunters for the most part. It doesn't mean the opportunity isn't there to kill multiple deer on a yearly basis. You might get to kill multiple deer, but I get the opportunity to kill multiple species of medium and big game a year and this year I'll be hunting bear, pronghorn, mule deer, white tail, and elk.

I've also hunted with a multitude of cartridges over the past decade from the puny .223 to the .375 Ruger. I have been blessed to hunt game from as far East to NY, North to AK, and South as TX not to mention my home state of CO. So tell us again how your experience if better than mine? I'm not going to say my experience is vastly superior to yours, just my experience is different than yours and still valid experience.

Last edited:
Mobuck, I own 243 and 243AI and don't own 25-06 but I do own 270 which I prefer to use here in Co fill my buck tag.

No question I could hunt on my place and draw deer tag and fill it with 243 but that like shooting ducks in rain barrel.

A .243 loaded with plain-Jane 100 grain Remington core-lokts will kill deer DRT. Bang-flop, Just like the .25-05, .270, or many other calibers. Only with the .243, the recoil doesn't cause you to lose sight of the deer through the scope.

Mr Hill, Do you remember this post.

Go with the .270 Winchester. Something different from what you've got, and the 130 grain bullet shoots flat and is a great deer round. Lots of commercial ammo available, and recoil isn't bad at all.

mete, from time to time I've seen reports from people on a highway and an antelope was pacing them at some 55 mph. That's halfway-regular over decades.

I recall my father's story of his first antelope hunt. Running antelope. He held his usual lead for a running deer. The bullet went behind the antelope.

A friend used his Win. Model 88 in .243 to harvest two black bears several seasons ago, (two different seasons) -- both around 250 lbs. Neither one traveled more than 25 yards. -- Commercial ammo, no idea what load. -- I was there and helped drag them both out. -- I would rather NOT be with a guy who shoots a bear in the Adirondacks again.

I sure do remember the post; I believe my post in that thread pertained to picking a new rifle when the op already owned a .243 and wanted another back up rifle, and he was considering a .25-06 or a .270. I suggested the .270 for purposes of caliber diversity, but all those calibers will work effectively on deer.

People need to pay attention to their bullet selection as much or more than the particular cartridge. How is a 100gr .243 so good but a 120gr 25-06 so bad or visa versa. We are talking about .014" of an inch difference in diameter, breaker points were gaped larger than that. Bullet placement and bullet construction are the to biggest factors to success after the trigger is pulled.

Guv said:
People need to pay attention to their bullet selection as much or more than the particular cartridge. How is a 100gr .243 so good but a 120gr 25-06 so bad or visa versa. We are talking about .014" of an inch difference in diameter, breaker points were gaped larger than that. Bullet placement and bullet construction are the to biggest factors to success after the trigger is pulled.

Welcome to the .270 VS. .280 debate! Often times people get hung up on their chosen cartridge and put blinders on to everything else. Bullets are important, but shot placement will even overcome some bullet issues.

^exactly. People want that magic Magnum blaster to compensate for lack of skill. I've witnessed I don't know how many hunters who after the rifle is zerod it may never get fired again until they are shooting at game. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. Go SHOOT the thing. You won't hurt it!

Last edited:
Welcome to the .270 VS. .280 debate! Well that's a silly debate, obviously the .280 is better. Why? Because I have one. :D. Much of the caliber debates, arguments are purely semantic. Give a good hunter only one rifle in any number of calibers and we would do fine with it for the vast majority of our shooting needs. But what fun would 5hat be?

Nuttin' much has changed in some sixty-five years. I remember a gunsmith (nicknamed "Buster" but after seeing some of his work I thought "Butcher" was more accurate) who was madly in love with his "Improved '06". That was the flattest shooting gun in the US. He could hold on a deer's back at 600 yards and hit it in the heart.

Some of these "this" vs. "that" threads resurrect old memories. :D

"I see this attitude a lot online, and it's total BS. Just because you kill a lot of deer doesn't invalidate others experience. I'm a one deer a year hunters for the most part. It doesn't mean the opportunity isn't there to kill multiple deer on a yearly basis."

Experience has it's advantages. I see 5-7 deer shot every year with cartridges from .22 to .30 caliber(those are the calibers we're currently using). I see which bullets do what when they hit at this or that angle. I see how much internal damage occurs at various ranges. There's no replacement for this accumulation of knowledge.

" You might get to kill multiple deer, but I get the opportunity to kill multiple species of medium and big game a year and this year I'll be hunting bear, pronghorn, mule deer, white tail, and elk. "

I'm not bragging about my hunting experiences but I've shot a few of each of the species you mentioned. \
I've commented that my deer hunting is "grocery shopping" and most of it is exactly that--putting food in the freezer. I tend to use what is effective and efficient rather than something that sort of works if you're lucky. I can and have killed deer with almost any cartridge(only admit to what's legal BTW) but I've found that some work better than others. Sure, I COULD kill deer for the next 20 years with a .243 BUT I'd prefer a 25/06 because I know it will do the job more effectively (with cheaper bullets) AND I'm more confident in that capability.

Back