How good are NRA training classes?

Blackmind,

I used to live on LI and had a pistol permit there. My friend and I used to go to the range together and fire each other's handguns. I was never made aware that this was illegal. What are you basing this statement on? Can you cite something in the actual law for us? I don't think it's true...

IIRC (I left NY in 1993, was stationed at Griffiss), by law you could not touch a handgun in a gun shop or even fire it if you didn't have the "tag" on your permit. But I will admit that I only went to one gun shop in NY the entire time that I was there, was told that I needed to get a permit first.

I had to be in state for a year (which I did) and then get my commander to sign off and then try for my permit or actual license. I did and sent in the paperwork.

Griffiss was closed 6 months later and I got moved to Moody AFB, GA. Got my permit there, no problem, and forgot about NY.

6 months later and then in GA, I got my restricted NY permit with the two guns that I had at the time on it (GP-100 and the Jennings .22).

It's expired now, so it's just a "looky what I got" (if I can find it again).

But the gun stores in NY wouldn't even let you touch a handgun without a license and if you had one, they would let you look at, but they didn't like it very much (from what I saw).

As for shooting other peoples guns, I don't know. All I know is that they allowed me to fire fully auto (well, 3 shots at a time) M-16 and the M-9 while in NY but that was on base, not outside it.

Wayne

The first firearms course I ever took was the NRA "Personal Protection in the Home" course. It is considered an intermediate course and is about the most complex class that the NRA has standards for (though basic rifle is pretty comprehensive). The Basic Pistol class is recommended prior to taking Personal Protection, but most folks who have been around pistols for any length of time and have a basic understanding of safety and the general manual of arms could easily make the jump.

I'd also recommend talking directly to the instructor prior to enrolling in a class. Ask also for contact information of former students who can give their opinion of the class and instructor.

NRA has a website where you can find a class in your area: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/find.asp

Hope this helps! :)

-Dave

Most people who have a basic familiarity with handguns would be FAR better off taking a one-day or two-day Tactical Pistol class from one of the top schools (Tactical Response, Rangemaster, John Farnam, et al) than to spend one or two days taking the NRA Basic Pistol and NRA Personal Protection classes.

You'll learn FAR more from Yeager, Givens or Farnam in those two days because their curricula are much better oriented toward the defensive use of a handgun in the real world. Mindset, awareness, avoidance, weapon retention, multiple adversaries, low light shooting, etc. are just not included in the NRA lesson plans in a fashion that is comparable to the top defensive/tactical trainers.

I agree with The Bluesman. I started years ago with Personal Protection and went from there. It was a good intro.

Then a beginner's set of tactical or skill courses are worthy.

As an NRA certified instructor, I will say that if you have not had formal handgun safety instruction, then I strongly recommend that you take an NRA Basic Pistol class. There are a lot of folks who "learned to shoot from their dad 20 years ago" who learned a bunch of really unsafe habits.

NRA Basic Pistol is just that -- basic. It focuses on firearm safety and basic marksmanship. If you've already been shooting a while it may be repititious. But repitition is good.

It is NOT about defense shooting.

As for how good it is, that's very dependent upon the instructor.

There are a lot of folks who "learned to shoot from their dad 20 years ago" who learned a bunch of really unsafe habits.

My youngest son took his NRA Hunter Safety course 2 years ago at age 12. The NRA instructor had firearms on the table at the front of the class. ALL the rifles were laying on the table pointed at the class. My 12yo son objected and called him on it. He was told it's OK they weren't loaded. If I would have only been there at that time, that guy would still be walking funny today.

kenny b

Back