How does BP compare?

There's a velocity limit when using black powder--maybe somewhere around 1500fps, I don't know the exact value. It's the same with smokeless powder--the limit is just much, much higher--somewhere between 5,000 & 6,000 fps.

Before smokeless was invented, if you wanted more power, you had to go with bigger and heavier bullets because you weren't going to push the velocity up past the limit. This led to some real monsters that were made for hunting in Africa. Bore diameters could exceed 1" and the recoil/blast sometimes caused the shooter to bleed from the ears.
...I am curious as to why Remington even made these guns at the barrel lengths they'd chosen!!
Since most blackpowder "replica" style guns are shot with iron sights, a longer sight radius is very desirable. Also, it's worthwhile to remember that during the timeframe that the original guns being replicated were made, it was not so simple or common to measure velocity. It's entirely possible that they thought the longer barrels were giving them a velocity benefit even though past a point the longer length didn't offer much, if any, benefit.

It isn't necessarily a requirement to actually shoot or even possess any pre-cartridge guns to enjoy their history.
There's plenty of folks who collect them without any intention of actually getting the guns, or themselves, all dirty and smelly with shooting them.
I knew one fellow who had an entire wall covered with original BP guns and had never fired a single shot from any.
And wasn't ever going to, either.
All his considerable shooting activities were with modern equipment.

Mr. Pond, Would it be possible for you to order B/P ammo and have it delivered to the shooting range. Maybe they would be willing to store it for use there only. Or maybe the range could order it for you. Just thinking out loud.

It isn't necessarily a requirement to actually shoot or even possess any pre-cartridge guns to enjoy their history.

True, but I confess that on a personal level, I'd still love to know what shooting BP feels like!

Mr. Pond, Would it be possible for you to order B/P ammo and have it delivered to the shooting range. Maybe they would be willing to store it for use there only. Or maybe the range could order it for you.

It would need to be the range that orders, provided they have the necessary paperwork for ordering such materials, but if they can order ammo, I can imagine they can order some BP and caps, but the question then is, could they be bothered....

In financial/red-tape terms it may well not be worth the hassle.

I suppose asking is free and from there I can see if it would even be allowed. One thing for sure, though, it would only be an indoor range and I don't know if that limits BP shooting due to the smoke produced. Would you need industrial wind-tunnel type extractors running?

A friend once brought his flintlock to the old (Depression era) National Guard armory indoor range here. It put out as much smoke as you might expect but it settled and cleared faster than the smoke from smoldering bullet lube on cast bullets shot with smokeless. So the air was clear by the time he could reload. If you had a lot of modern shooters there at the time, they might complain.

You have a revolver do you not?
One can of black powder (or synthetic fake) and some bullets with suitable lube might satisfy your yearning. Or it might stimulate your yearning to the point that you trade in your modern guns for period types.
As one wag in the field says, smokeless powder is a passing fad.

You have a revolver do you not?
One can of black powder (or synthetic fake) and some bullets with suitable lube might satisfy your yearning. Or it might stimulate your yearning to the point that you trade in your modern guns for period types.

That is indeed on possibility.

I did actually ask a while back about how easy it would be to load some .44 cases with BP just to poopy and giggles....

Again, just have to see if anyone stocks some triple 7...:cool:

Mr. Pond, loading modern cartridges with black is a fairly straight forward proposition. Most black powder likes a little compression, and most surely do you not want any air space between the propellant and the bullet. I suppose you could experiment if local regulations will allow you to purchase some black powder.

It is good practice to clean your firearms soon after firing black powder, and wash the empty cases in hot soapy water with a suitable brush.

Indeed. The 1873 Colt SAA started out life as a BP revolver, smokeless not having been invented, and you can buy loaded BP cartridges or load your own with modern brass and either store bought or hand cast bullets.

Back