• Shoulder holster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ankle holster

• Other method

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I pocket carried for a long time, but it is definitely slower to draw from. It is also hard to carry a decent sized gun with pocket carry.
Pocket carry is a compromise for sure. I've tried a lot of different things and the only gun that works for me to get a fast and consistent draw is a hammerless (shrouded hammer) J-frame. I can get a full firing grip on draw and the sloped or angled rear doesn't get caught on the pocket.

I've even tried the thumb on the rear of the slide or hammer trick and yes it helps get the gun out of the pocket, but I can't get a repeatable and consistent firing grip to manage recoil properly with 3 or 5 rapid shots right out of the pocket.

Sometimes pocket carry is a necessity for me, so I train for it, but I greatly prefer AIWB whenever the situation allows.

Depends what my flavor is that day. If I have a craving for .45 acp I carry my full size 1911 iwb, if I'm .357, the revolver goes owb.

Depends on my mood. I almost always carried a 1911 or BHP OWB, but lately have been using a couple IWB holsters w/ them, especially my new ACW "Commander".

I always carry a Glock model 43 in right front pocket, holster.
I also carry a Glock model 29 in a Galco classic shoulder holster,
about 90% of the time. Can't be too careful.

Last edited:
For the pocket carry folks:

How do you manage drawing it safely?

I always have this image in my mind of fishing in my pocket in a high stress situation and grabbing the trigger and shooting myself.

I carry my gun in a Sticky holster. It covers the trigger, and like any other gun
I handle I don't put my finger on the trigger until I am ready to shoot. It is a very safe way to carry.

For the pocket carry folks:

How do you manage drawing it safely?

I always have this image in my mind of fishing in my pocket in a high stress situation and grabbing the trigger and shooting myself.

A good pocket holster will keep you from doing that. When I pocket carry, I have my P365 in a Black Hawk Tech Grip #3 pocket holster. The holster is sticky enough to stay put while drawing the P365. And as always, you finger should not go on the bang switch until AFTER your muzzle clears the holster/pocket and is on target.

For smaller handguns, like a J Frame Smith or a Sig P290, I like pocket carry. For larger, I prefer a well made OWB holster.

I've been on this forum long enough to start this response with:

As of this day and since February of 2020, I have been carrying a Glock 19 Gen 3 with a Trijicon RMR and Surefire X300-UA. So that's IWB of course. I rarely carry OWB anymore since I don't have gun related jobs.

For decades I carried IWB, either at 3 or 4 o'clock. However, a couple months ago I started having some extra sensitivity on my right hip, so I've switched (temporarily, I think) to either AIWB or OWB, just in front of my right hip.

OWB is a lot more comfortable overall. Enough to make me seriously consider making it permanent.

I recently HAD TO change from AIWB to 3:30 IWB strong side and I hate it. My gun is way more obvious (not that I care much) and my presentation is way slower (that i DO care about).

I am actually tempted to go full dork and get a cross body shoulder/chest bag.

Mode of Concealed Carry

I prefer to carry IWB at 3 o'clock (G23 or S&W M&P9) and carry a backup gun (Ruger LCP) in the right-hand back pocket.

I love gun control. It lets me hit what I'm shooting at!

Back