How do you use double triggers?

10 ga, two triggers

As I recall when I was a teenager and hunted with a 10 ga double I learned not to shoot the front trigger first because my finger slipped off to the second trigger and the two shots doubling with a 10 ga 3 1/2" and 2 oz loads at a duck almost drove me down in the swamp.

I don't need to do that again, you do as you wish.

They were either stupid or just plain didn't know what they were talking about, or joshing you.

I have hunted with and shot side by sides for 40yrs. As far as I am concerned, the double trigger side by side is nearly perfect for hunting flushing birds. And most of the time, one shoots the more open choked barrel first, but it seem that on almost every hunt, there is a time when a bird flushed almost out of range and I will want to fire the tighter choked barrel first. With the double trigger gun, I have instant choice of which barrel to choose, by just slipping my finger back to the rear trigger on most of my guns. I have never had a single selective trigger that I could choose chokes on, in the heat of the flush.

Shooting with two fingers is only a stunt done or tried mostly by a person that is trying to show off or just plain inexperienced with double trigger guns.

This sounds painful ,stupid, & dangerous, & there's ZERO chance of me trying it with my Stevens 311!

I'm ashamed to admit this but I haven't pulled either trigger on my 311 in a long time. Finally got used to the single trigger on the Citori (and that took some doing) and never looked back.

One finger in the trigger guard is the only correct way for wingshooting.
I have also heard it said that the reason for straight stocks is so that you can slide your hand more easily when you change triggers. While some people may do this, I have been shooting SxSs with two triggers for several decades and I have yet to have to move anything but my trigger finger to change triggers going in either direction depending on whether the target was incoming or outgoing. I have owned SxSs in everything from 10 gauge to 28, except 16 and .410, and I have no preference between two triggers and a good single trigger, except for heavy waterfowling, and there I do prefer a single trigger. I do not tend to grip a gun tightly, and I have had the back of the trigger guard beat the devil out of my middle finger more than once with double trigger guns and very heavy loads, even with gloves on.

^^^^^ yep. IMO DT work best with a straight English stock as it allows you to slide your hand ever so slightly so you can use either trigger first in a quick manner. SxS guns with single triggers, beavertail forearms and pistol grips just look so wrong in so many ways!....:eek::D

I'll agree with the single trigger and beavertail forend looking "wrong". Not so the pistol grip.

My Grandfather's Ithaca has double triggers, a splinter forend and a pistol grip. It's been in my family over 100 years. NOTHING could look more "right".
:D

That would depend on the pistol grip - many old guns like yours had such a slight grip, even less pronounced than the standard POW, that they may as well have been an English style.

This:

100514862_456_AE80073BBF50A623.JPG

as opposed to this:

100433234_22273_461314FC252EDDB6.JPG

Back