• Felt wad under the bullet

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Grease over the bullet

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Both grease and felt wad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A slightly oversized ball

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other (including just shooting it as is)

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve been loading my 2013 Pietta NMA with .457” balls or .455” bullets using my loading lever assembly. Eventually I had it reamed to .449” and chamfered, but it never was too difficult to load. Pure lead?

Just a suggestion

I punch my wads from leather scraps from my leather work - about 1/8" thickness'
As a side note, I have made my own wads out of paper "older" egg cartons. You can also use the drink carriers from the take-out windows. Just soften them up with a bit of water and form them up into balls or large ball. Roll them out to desired thickness, let dry and punch them out to the required diameter. I started making these mostly for BP shotgun loading and progressed to C&B. Egg cartons and carrier trays are made from newspapers. ??? ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

As a side note, I have made my own wads out of paper "older" egg cartons. You can also use the drink carriers from the take-out windows. Just soften them up with a bit of water and form them up into balls or large ball. Roll them out to desired thickness, let dry and punch them out to the required diameter. I started making these mostly for BP shotgun loading and progressed to C&B. Egg cartons and carrier trays are made from newspapers. ??? ..... :)

Be Safe !!!
Very interesting! A few questions if you don’t mind.

1) You mentioned beginning for shotgun use. Were these just over cards or did they function as a cushion wad?

2) So you take this, wet it to what, a bit over thoroughly damp?, and then roll out to the thickness you seek. So it just because a pliable mush?

3) Is this the same material one might find as a molded form-fit packaging we often find with electronics, wine bottle shipments, etc.?

School days

1) You mentioned beginning for shotgun use. Were these just over cards or did they function as a cushion wad?
Over powder wads. May want to double up on these. You could use as over-shot wads but prefer a more sturdy cardboard material.

2) So you take this, wet it to what, a bit over thoroughly damp?, and then roll out to the thickness you seek. So it just because a pliable mush?
When I said roll them out I meant roll and press them and make sure they are Stiff and dry. It's more like a cake then a mush. Hard to explain. Also, different sources require handing. Most of what I work with are grey and have also used brown. ... :)
3) Is this the same material one might find as a molded form-fit packaging we often find with electronics, wine bottle shipments, etc.?
Yes sir although most of what I have used comes from food products. I got the idea from school memories, working with paper manchette. I don't think they teach this hand-on skills anymore ...... :mad:

Be Safe !!!

Nice! Thanks for sharing! I’ve been interested in a paper patch shooting gun, along with a smoothbore that I think this idea would work nicely for.

Unless I missed something you can't paper patch bullets with papier machet.
Of course not, but one would probably benefit from a lube so either making these thick or loading a few that were soaked in lube sounds like a nice thing to start with to see how it performs vs the felt I have.

Back