How do you test out a new handgun?

Does anyone have any drills, or how more or less to test the function of the gun? I am going to start slow first couple just to learn the trigger. Then after that do some double taps or quicker succession rounds? Plan on running a couple of mags through each unless they don't feel/perform the way I should.

I'd do some slow fire at 10 yds.....can you put 4 or 5 shots into a 2" circle.../ that'll tell you something about how trigger breaks and resets..( focus on how gun recoils and how trigger feels ).

Renting guns - you don't want to run them in and out of a holster...so I'd put a silhouette target at 21 Feet...( A zone would be center chest - or nipple to nipple and down to belly button ). I'd start at low ready....do some double taps..( how does the gun feel, how does it come up "on plane", how does it recoil)....then I'd go to the low ready .....and 1 shot - reload - 2 shots. Even if I only had one mag....( 1 shot - drop mag into your hand-and go down and tap your thigh with the mag -- then reinsert mag and a double tap)....and evaluate how that feels, how it works for you....

maybe 15 or 20 rounds per gun you're testing is enough to rule some out...or put them on your "probable" list...in my view.

Back