How do you store your HD Shotgun?

The Colin

How do you store your HD Shotgun?

I'm new to having a shotgun in the house - so i'm trying to figure out the best way to store it for quick access. How do you keep yours? Bedside? Under the bed? behind the door? Where?

I've got a Remington 870 Express 7 shot 18.5'' loaded with Federal 00 buckshot.

I look forward to your replys!

I keep my Benelli Nova Pump behind the bedroom door (which is right next to my side of the bed) with 4 in the mag, not one in the chamber, a quick racking of the pump fixes that. And i keep one of my old hats (beanie - took, for the canadians) on top of the barrel to keep out dust or other objects, just like they did in WWII when they hit the beaches with condoms on their guns to keep the crud out, well same principle anywayit doesnt take much to shoot though an old cap

Loaded tube, chamber empty, safety off. Seven rounds of Remington managed recoil 00buck. During the day, it's in the trunk of my car, at nightit's leaning in the corner of my closet.

Full tube, not chamebered and under the bed. It's in the case but the case is open. Oh, and the .45 is in the nightstand drawer along with the flash light.

Standing up between the bed and the 7' armour about 6" from my hand when I sleep
Hammer down, empty chamber

Last edited:
I keep my semi-auto A-5 loaded with a full tube and one in the chamber, saftey on. I don't have any children and my wife one touch it so I feel comfertable with one in the chamber. I keep it right next our bed on my side.

Kids at home, so unless I'm in the bedroom sleeping, it stays in the safe. Upon retiring for the evening, it leans up against the headboard/wall with full tube + one in the chamber, safety on. Also, .45 + spare mag + flashlight on night stand.

Kids at home also.

Kept behind my closet door in the master bathroom. Mossberg 500A, tube full and combat sleeve on the stock holds 5 more 00 buck. I keep a cable lock through the chamber. I have the key hidden on a tie rack in the closet.

Also have a Glock 17 with spare mag in a lock box about two feet away.

I keep my Remington 870 in my bedroom closet with a full tube but an empty chamber. I have the action closed but I dry fire it so that it can be racked without hitting the release. Since the chamber is empty, I leave the safety off. I want as few steps as possible before I can fire the gun but I want to rack the slide in hopes that the sound will convince an intruder to choose an easier target.

I installed racks in the closet so it's above the closet door. 5 in the mag.

chamber empty safety on. Baretta 1201FP. Butt cuff holds 3 slugs and 2

extra OO bucks (for weight more than anything).

Winchester 1300 with deer slayer barrel leaned up in the corner by the bed has a rotation of bird load, slug, bird load etc. 5 of them 3 bird loads and 2 slugs. I like the option to rotate rounds from the 2 3/4" number 8 shot to the 3" 1 oz slugs. Intruders beware.

mossy500.jpg

winnie1300s.jpg

Mine are kept on hooks above the door inside closets. I keep the the shotguns with an empty chamber, hammer down, safety off. Stowed like that, they all work the same, whether Winchester or Mossberg, to chamber that first round. The shooter needs to grab the gun, rack the forend, aim, and pull the trigger.

More

Storing a Defensive Shotgun

Stephen426 and XaxierBreath both have everything right about the best combination of conditions for storing a defensive PUMP shotgun, i.e.; (1) the magazine should be fully loaded, (2) with no round in the chamber, (3) the trigger pulled so that the is hammer down on that EMPTY chamber and
(4) the safety in off position. You then only need to rack the slide and pull the trigger to get a BANG!

Note: If you should be fortunate enough to have one of the old Winchester Model 12s, remember that as long as your finger continues to press the trigger, it's going to chamber and FIRE other available rounds from the magazine AGAIN each time you rack the slide even WITHOUT A SEPERATE PULL OF THE TRIGGER .

No kids, just my wife and me. My 870 (18.5" with Surefire and laser is loaded with five in the tube, one in the chamber, 4 on the side with the safety on next to my side of the bed. 1911, spare mag and light on the bedside table. I prefer that the only sound the BG hears is the snick of the safety coming off.

Back