How do you ship your pistols for repair

I appreciate all of your comments! Seems like there is not a full consensus on the details of the transfers, so I'll just take my gun to a local FedEx Customer Service Center and ship it to SCCY. At least I know that's clean and legal, albeit expensive. Perhaps I'll stop at my LGS along the way to see what they can offer, but if I have to pay their normal transfer fee of $32 plus their postage, and do another 4473, I'll just proceed to FedEx.

Tom

You had at least two FFLs tell you that there is no 4473 required but good luck with your repair.

guncrank
Not exactly. A 4473 is required to get a gun out of hock at a pawn shop, and also to retrieve a gun that's been on consignment at a dealer (one of my local dealers made me sign a form acknowledging this when I put a pistol on consignment). It's based on possession, not ownership.

No wrong assumption
Pawn shop or consignment denotes change of ownership of the firearm as told to me by a IOI.
The FFL owns the gun with a pawn or consignment. Out of pawn or consignment require a 4473/NICS to regain the firearm.
The IOI that told you that is 100% wrong.
1. "Ownership" is not mentioned in any ATF regulation regarding the transfer of a firearm.
2. An FFL does not have an ownership interest in any gun left with him for consignment. He has lawful POSSESSION, not ownership.
3. A 4473 is merely the record of a transfer between a licensee and a buyer/transferee. It has never had anything to do with ownership,

Back