How do you maintain your 22s?

How often do you clean your 22s?

• After every range session

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • At a certain round count

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • At a certain time frame (monthly, bi-annually etc.)

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • When it stops running right.

Votes: 22 30.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really don't look forward to cleaning guns, although, once I'm into it, it's fine. Some people are really fastidious; ok, but that's not me. My carry pistols are always in good shape. My 22's get cleaned only when they need it or I'm already in a "mass cleaning session".

My 22s will get a wipedown after use, but I don't thoroughly clean them until I can start to notice heavy build-up or operational differences(not necessarily malfunctions).

Internally, approx. every 200-400 rds. Externally wiped- also with Ballistol -within about 3-7 days.

I'm not gonna lie OP, as I Should say after each shooting session, inside and outside.

But none of us will ever meet each other in person, will we? Might as well be honest, but as tactful as we would be drinking Smithwick's side-by-side.

I give all my new or new to me guns a deep cleaning as soon as I get them home no matter what caliber. I used to be one of those that wouldn't clean a .22 until it "needed it." I clean them more often now except for bores. I won't touch a .22 bore until it affects accuracy. As for the Browning 1911 .22, I love mine. It's my favorite .22 handgun to shoot. It's not a target gun by any stretch of the imagination but it's a hella fun little gun to plink with.

Usually after every session, but not always. The Buckmark just runs and runs no matter what round count I've put through it.

The Beretta Bobcat gets unreliable after 100 rounds or so and it gets cleaned more often for that reason.

Back when I used to shoot my 22's regularly, I joked that I cleaned them evey February 29th, rather they needed it or not. If I happened to forget, I'd just wait until next time.

In truth, I probably cleaned them "every so often." No set schedule. For example I might go all hunting season and not clean the rifle I squirrel hunted with, but I might not shoot that two or three times a trip. I might clean a Ruger Standard after every trip to the range, but that trip might be several hundred rounds.

Until very recently, the only .22 I owned was a S&W k-frame. The tolerances on the cylinder are so tight that after 30 or so rounds it gets very hard to push the rounds into the cylinder, so I really don't have much choice but to clean it after every session or it will be effectively unusable.

I clean all my guns after use. The only difference being it may just be scrub the barrel after light use or at least annually a complete field strip and cleaning. That assuming I shot the gun the previous year. I also monitor the safe humidity and use light coats of oil on my guns. Pretty much standard maintenance.

Ron

Back