How do you load, all you have, or as you go?

I keep it simple. When I start "gettin kinda" low on ammo I load more. I cast 16 bullet sizes and calibers........I make my own #8 shot. So I have the componets to load shotgun, rifle and pistol as needed.

I used to load everything up. But I have since learned - even in my advancing age - that my shooting style tends to constantly evolve. So I don't so much these days.

There have been a few times where I've loaded up bunches of ammo, only to change my preferences and my loaded ammo doesn't fit any more.

shot a round of sporting clays this morning. loaded the ammo just before i left for the club. lol was only ten minutes late....

How do you guys manage your components? Do you buy and then load all you have? Or do you buy components and load to meet your shooting needs?

Haha load it all ! :eek: , there’s a reason this shortage has not effected me and that I’ve even been able to give components away during the last two years ;).

The other issue if I did , there would be stored ammo for much longer then I’d want . Unclenick pointed out how recalls can really upset long term storage plans which made sense to me . I have a bunch loaded but loading all is not even a consideration.

Last edited:
I'm primarily a handgunner. I keep enough loaded for 3-4 range trips. Bullets are my biggest limiting factor. I cast my own and when I start casting I try to keep at it until I have enough to last a few months.

As far as powder and primers I maintain a three year supply.

It depends…for shotgun I load everything I have or until I run out of a component, usually powder or wads. For pistol I load until I fill the ammo cans…I have some proximity fuse ammo boxes (little wider and taller than a regular 50cal ammo can), I can get 3200 +/- 9mm or 2200+/- 45 ACP in one…that normally lasts me 6 month to a year before I have to load up again. The shotgun I’m loading those about every 6 months as I shoot more than anything else.

Back