How Do You Like Your Venison? Rare, Med Rare, Well?

Medium rare.

I carefully dress out the deer and ensure it is thourougly washed befor processing. I freeze it for a week prior to use.

Well-done venison gets tough and strong tasting. On the other hand, medium or medium rare venison is delicious.

The two worst I am aware of are liver fluke (elk) and wasting disease.
Out here in the West, flukes are a fact of life. Liver flukes are in the liver and bile ducts. If you don't like worms, don't eat guts. As far as wasting disease "prions" go, cooking won't help.

Raised in the woods. My mother would cook our game & fish whenever we brothers brought some fresh meat home. Policy was to please her husbands pallet before her kids. Thus all red game meat was cooked well done due to nearly all being ground into pure hamburger. To this day I can still see my Father de-skinning the tough leather like surface of a huge deer liver with his fillet knife and cutting slices of liver from around fluke cavity's while seated at the well lit kitchen table. (twin _very old sterling sliver based kerosene lamps that were a prized possession of my parents.)

Med rare cooked over high heat. Sautéed mushrooms, onions and garlic over top. Always sear over high heat with a fat that wont burn. I like grape seed oil.

I eat all my steaks rare no matter what animal. Unless it’s cheap beef steaks then medium. If it isn’t bloody it’s a crime.

I like my meat(domestic or wild)cooked completely through. I figure if I'm going to eat raw meat, I'll go live a cave, too.

I brought some venison backstraps home to my (NON hunter) family over the Christmas weekend. Grilled them up to medium and every person (even the picky kids) liked it.

I'll do med-rare when it's just me, but medium (some pink) is still plenty tender. Don't lose all the pink though, that's when it gets chewy.

Medium rare to medium with venison. Beef is always rare. Can't stand overcooked meat.
I leave whatever meat I'm cooking on for a little longer for my wife. When the kid lived with us I'd let hers get burned on the outside, well done in center. Everyone was happy with their meal.

Back