How do you like to read about guns?

and the ".457 revolvers".
Yeah. Clueless author, ignorant about which he writes.

But such is the hobby we enjoy that is so 'diverse' that there is the Ruger 'Old Army' which takes a .457 round ball...

There is that, did not consider that one. :) On the other hand this was a guy who called Chicago typewriters "sub Thompsons", and mentioned that they could tell that "assault rifle" ammunition was bad by looking at the primer on the loaded cartridge. Other than that it was a reasonably enjoyable story.

I don't often criticize friction writers but I do some times do the eye roll for people who should know.

Mister Brandon Webb, The M40 Marine Sniper rifle was NOT chambered in 30-06 (The Killing School, by Brandon Webb, SEAL Sniper Instructor). There are a few others but you get the point.

In Historical Non-Fiction I would like to see more detail, Mr David McCullough, (1776) please tell me about the Muskets and Pennsylvania Rifles, a bit about the pistols would be nice too.

I enjoy most, the old military gun writers, Hatcher, Edward Lewis, Whalen, to name a few, and don't forget Ingalls (brush up on your math for that one).

Oh of course we can't neglect Dr. Francis Mann's search for accuracy that would put modern bench rest shooters to shame.

Also the old early 20th century Marksmanship Manuals, we can still learn a lot from those. Who now teaches indirect fire with a rifle?

I taught machine gun schools to Alaska Natives, and others, most without a high school education. If not for Hatcher's "Machine Guns, 1917" I wouldn't have come up with how to instruct in the use of Mil's for these young soldiers, who's math skills were limited to the number of whales the government allotted for their village to strike.

Publishing is easy now, Kindle and small printing houses have generated a flood of what was known as "pulp fiction". Some of it is pretty good, a friend is setting post apocalyptic stories in the immediate area, known to him and his family for a hundred years or more. Good fun and correct on the firearms without belaboring the issue.

On the other hand, I recently read a novel with a description of gun cleaning that would fit right into a thread here, but I fail to see how two pages on firearms maintenance advanced the plot more than a paragraph would have.

Back