#18indycolts

2 palms?
One hand under the mag?
One hand in front of the grip?
LEO's/military welcome to answer.
+++not the stance, but how do YOU hold it?+++
just wondering

If you're not sure...

take an NRA basic pistol course and they will teach you.

There are various disciplines that require different holds. One handed and two.

When at the range just shooting, I use both hands, thumbs forward, weak hand supports 40%, strong hand supports about 60%.

I wasn't asking how I should hold it. I'm right handed and hold it with my left hand in front of the mag behind the trigger guard. Just curious how other's hold it.;)

PISTOL1.jpg

Support hand over strong hand under trigger guard with both thumbs forward along the frame of the gun. I suspect that's going the be the case for about 90% of the people here...

I have started reaching my left (support) hand's index finger and putting in front of the trigger guard. I saw that in a shooting demo. and found it to be very comfortable. I have met a few other guys at the range that do this as well.

I hold my glock fo-ty sideways with my right hand while making a 'west side' gang sign with my left. Sometimes my medalion gets in the way so I have to switch gun hands and change to the ghost face killa gang sign with my right hand. It take years of practice and technique to get to the level I am at now.

threegun,

I'm curious. Do you know why the guy in the dark shirt, behind the shooter is holding a gun in his hand? It looks like it may be cocked. :eek:

Yeah it is a gal. Her hand is resting on a holstered gun. Its a speed holster used in cometition. Skeletonized holster. Good eyes it is cocked but probably on an empty chamber and no mag.

Two hands, strong hand first, index finger on trigger guard and thumb on opposite side facing target. Weak hand over strong hand, thumb parrallel to thumb on strong hand.

righty here. the fingers of my left hand don't quite make it to the last knuckles of my right hand. i try to give a firmer grip with my left than with my right, as if envisioning left/right = 60/40.

this is just one part of a technique that aids me in handling recoil. the rest of it involves having feet inside shoulder width, slightly bent forward at hips, leaning just forward, and shoulders rolled forward.

muzzle flip is quite reduced, and follow up shots are faster.

I hold mine just like Rob Leatham, only I take up more space in the shooting square and don't hit the target as often.:D

I switch between the pictured Rob Leatham's grip and support hand index finger on the trigger guard. Haven't settled on the one I want to use yet.

If there's accessory on the rail, then I'm forced to put allmy support hand's fingers on the grip. Having my index finger on the trigger guard seems to be a more stable grip, but takes more concentration to shoot accurately.

Phxdog,

I hold mine just like Rob Leatham, only I take up more space in the shooting square and don't hit the target as often.

I take up less space and don't hit the target as fast or as often lol. Rob is an incredible pistolero. When I changed to his style of hold on the gun my scores increased tremendously, from the fewer pulled shots, to the tighter groups.

Typically I do the old school one the hand duel stance or crouch draw with my non gun hand over my heart.

Every now and then I will do the two handed Weaver stance when I am trying to be a marksman.

Since almost everyone here uses the grip that Rob Leatham uses (Why not? He is a pro.), I will throw a monkey wrench into the works. When I am shooting my Glock 26, I sometimes hold the grip with my 4th and 5th fingers while pulling the trigger with my middle finger. My index finger is on the side of the gun more or less in line with the barrel. I came up with this method of shooting after reading about point shooting. Most people can easily point their index finger at an object and be very close to pointing directly at it. You can test this by identifying an object in the room. Close your eyes and point your finger to where you feel that object is. Most people will be fairly close to dead on target. Since combat distances are usually very short, this style of pointing makes for very rapid target acquisition while providing sufficient accuracy. The recoil on the 9mm Glock 26 is very easy to control and there is only room for a 2 fingered grip anyways.

For most of my target shooting, I use the grip that Rob Leatham uses. One thing most people here failed to mentioned is that the hand holding the gun is pushing forward while the supporting hand pulls back. This increases stability by keeping the gun under tension. One other thing is don't grip the gun to death unless you are really shooting a hand cannon. Gripping the gun too tight will affect accuracy and may cause your hand to tremble or fatigue more quickly.

stephen426 said:
I sometimes hold the grip with my 4th and 5th fingers while pulling the trigger with my middle finger. My index finger is on the side of the gun more or less in line with the barrel. I came up with this method of shooting after reading about point shooting. Most people can easily point their index finger at an object and be very close to pointing directly at it. You can test this by identifying an object in the room. Close your eyes and point your finger to where you feel that object is. Most people will be fairly close to dead on target.

If you get familiar enough with your pistol, pointing it at objects is like using your finger.
The pistol becomes an extension of your hand.

But whatever works best for you is what you should use as long as it is safe.
Your not the first I have heard shooting like that.
Do you ever have finger and slide contact?

I use an iscosoles stance which means, feet square both arms straight and locked. Strong hand first with firm grip, then I place the base of my weak thumb on the other side of the handle where the grip is still exposed,point both thumbs forward and wrap my left fingers around my strong hand.

This gives you a good firm grip, and the iscosoles stance will make you absorb the recoil between your shoulder blades, instead of in your wrists. I have noticed a HUGE difference in accuracy with this method.

Back