How do you handle a revolver as opposed to an auto

From what I'm seeing here is your grips are too small for your hands. Try finding some larger so your wrist doesn't look so twisted. Your fingertips shouldn't be toucking the backstrap of the gun. By all means, keep your boogerhook off the bang switch. (Someone here used that in their sig - I like it) :D

Devon

The whole "KEEP YOUR FINGER OUTTA THERE" thing is important, and here is another reason that hasn't been mentioned yet. Besides the whole immediate BANG thing..

It is muscle memory, and habits. If you handle the gun that way, and get used to handling it that way, loaded or not, you are likely to handle it in that fashion under stress.

Also, if you were at the same range I go to and you were holding your gun with your finger on the trigger, and not pointed at a target, LOADED OR NOT; you would be asked to leave. By me, the RSO on duty, and the management (LEOs too if you were cranky).

If you feel that you can control an auto without your finger on the trigger, like you said earlier, get rid of this revolver and get an auto. If you cannot control this revolver without your finger on the trigger, GET RID OF IT, period. No good can come from this situation.

As to how hard you have to pull the hammer to make it trip, if it were to fall off your belt and land on the trigger, it would go off. So if it is at chest height, with your finger in the trigger, and you fall and that hand hits the ground (thats what happens when you fall, people tend to use their hands to break falls) the gun will probably go off.

Yep, the chances are probably pretty small.

Yep, you probably feel pretty safe.

I hope we never cross paths, particularly if you continue this unsafe practice. If we do, and your gun is out, but not pointed at me, you may get a whoopin, if it is pointed at me, you will get shot. (finger on trigger = direct threat to my life)

Stay outta the northlands

Ben

Doug,
It seems you have convinced yourself that your gunhandling is safe. What I would like to know is how you can control a semi-auto with 3 fingers and the thumb on the gripframe, but those same 3 fingers and thumb can't control a revolver? Also how do you practice tripping? Tripping is a surprised event and each one is dynamic. We all have a grab reflex and the reflex to try and catch yourself with your hands when falling.
Hopefully one day you will understand what people are trying to tell you here, but until then I hope you don't injure yourself or someone else with your style of gunhandling as you ignore the 4 basic safe gun handling rules.

In my method you have the support of all four fingers and thumb in some way or another on your gun
True, but one of those fingers is inside the trigger guard when you are not prepared to fire.
Which is the one thing that all NDs have in common

So we all agree that keeping the finger on the trigger before being prepared to fire is about as much of a no-no as tossing your gun into a vat of salt water, then defecating in the water?

Both very bad ideas, albeit for different reasons...

Well your first comment raises a good point. Part of this has to do with confidence. I am confident that I can handle a A REVOLVER (not auto) with finger in the guard and having in one of the positions shown in the pictures. I am confident it is safe and it does not give me the chills.
If you, or anyone else doesn't feel safe (or gives you the chills) doing it then by all means DON'T.
If someone doesn't feel safe carrying a gun at all, then I would recommend they DON'T until they are confident.

Doug, I was born and raise with guns and I never put my finger in the trigger guard, nor would I point a weapon loaded or unloaded at a person I did not intend to shoot. I learned this from a very early age, since my dad was in the military before I was born, so its a habit. Your like my wife, who learned it later in life. My Father in Law is a cop and did not become a cop until my wife was in grade school, so she didn't really get into firearm until she was a teenager. Unlike a 6 year old , a teenager or an adult will filter what is being taught to them and apply it to their own logic. If they think something is dumb they will ignore it. Your ignoring the Keep your finger out of the trigger guard rule, because you think its dumb and doesn't apply to you somehow. You give confidence as an example, and my wife, when we were dating, would confidently grab my father in law's service revolver with her finger in the trigger guard and sweeps the entire room (and my head) with the loaded barrel, when she put the gun away for her dad, all the while wondering why I'm ducking, dodging and yelling. Everyone confidently handles their weapon until an accidental discharge happens. The AD I witnessed that wounded 3 people was because the guy who was handling a Glock, had his finger on the trigger.

Doug just try for us....stay safe...and have a happy holiday.

How do I handle a revolver as opposed to an autoloader? The same exact way. NO DIFFERENCE. Trigger finger outside of the trigger guard alongside of the frame or pressing on the side of the trigger guard and pointing along the barrel axis until I've to the gun pointed downrange at the intended target; the thumb goes where the thumb goes - down, gripping the grip. Partly this is about safety, partly this is about muscle memory -- I want to handle both revolvers and autoloaders as similarly as possible to help eliminate confusion & fumbling around when emergency weapon use is called for.

Okay okay, I'm not entirely convinced that my way really dangerous, but since it makes so many people uneasy I will ask this, where can I get some Python rubber grips with the finger fitting? (OP and Python are the same frame) That might make it easier to index the gun (although there are two tradoffs to doing that 1) the larger grips get in the speedloader's way somewhat and 2) the larger grips buldge more than the regular ones)
If nothing else, I'd have some good target grips. Been looking for some for while, can only find Detective Special rubber grips and Model 10 rubber grips, neither of which fit.
Perhaps when Colt brings the Python back in a few weeks I can order a set from them :)

I'm glad to see your last post

Especially since our incident this week, I was thinking of you and your manner of holding a revolver. Whether or not you find the new grips, please, don't put your finger inside the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot something or someone.

If you think you can carry a gun with your finger inside the trigger guard and not have a ND, you are kidding yourself. And if you think you could TRIP with your finger there and still not fire.... well, that is just not true.

Awkward or not, new grips or not, whatever: keep your finger out of the trigger guard or you WILL end up with an ND.

Springmom

Try your local gun shop, if they do not have any, they can order them.

Google will also come up with a bunch of listings.

Try Brownells --- the catalog or the website, or the Houghe website or any number of custom makers though they work in mostly wood, micarta or more exotic materials.

Doug, look into the following phenomenon called inter-limb interaction, sympathetic squeeze response, startle response, and loss of balance response. All of these involve the involuntary contraction of the hand and finger muscles under unplanned conditions. Read it, read it again, and then think how the way you choose to grip a revolver is just asking for an ND.

Now, looking at your pictures they remind me of something that I do that (AFAIK) I'll credit to Mas Ayoob, since he's the only person I've ever heard mention or write about it. He recommends the following when reholstering - with the revolver, one can place the firing hand thumb up against the rear of the exposed hammer, which does the following - if, during the act of reholstering, the trigger gets caught on something and the hammer starts to move, you'll be recognizant of it due to the position of your finger. With the 1911, while reholstering with the hammer back and safety on - the firing hand thumb goes slighty over the top of the hammer, which has several advantages. One, it usually removes the pad of the hand from the beavertail safety, activating it. Two, if the trigger was to be pressed somehow, the thumb is holding back the hammer. Plus, of course, the manual safety and beavertail are on or activated. With a Glock, or other hidden hammer (striker) semi auto - one can place the thumb against the back of the slide which will keep the slide from going out of battery when holstering. This procedure also makes it easier (I find, and others too) to reholster past the 3 O'clock position in a canted holster. Some individual's anatomy (shoulders and such) make it difficult to attain that angle and doing the above makes it easier.

Of course, :-) All of this is accomplished with the trigger finger in the guard position (along the frame - straight or bent if you like that method), and not in the trigger guard.

EricO

Just took these. The revolver is a Taurus 85UL 2in Snub in .38. Grips are much smaller than those on yours, and holding it the way that I am, have not retention problems:

Revolveruse.jpg

I don't think it's the grips, I don't think that your holding it right. I don't know, just wanted to show off my new Taurus I guess and to show that you can have retention with very small grips.

Wayne

*edited: Yes, I know the house is dirty, I'm single and I'm a male, get over it :D

**edited again: Yes, I know it's loaded (in case that comes up)

Back