How do you guys up North stay warm? Boots/socks question.

Cold extremities often are the result of losing too much heat from your head. I wear a rabbit fur hat pulled down over the ears when I am sitting stationary and it's very cold (Ohio cold, ~0 F). That way I can get away with boots with just 400 g Thinsulate in them. They are Red Wings, underneath which I wear merino wool socks, two pairs. Try getting a warmer hat before spending time/money on boots.

I lived in northern WI for 6 years and Mpls. for 4 years so I do know cold. I have been out walking in the sunshine in -62 F indexed.:eek:

^ True...
An Old Sailor's adage goes: "If your feet are cold, put on your hat"

I love the heat-exchange head cover - the one with a brillo pad that keeps your warmth from your breathing...the scent lock one is the best, but a little loose, so I wear a b-ball cap under it too, an if it gets real cold I'll put a balaclava under it, too...toasty

Bingo

Well there you have it, I guess. I think O.A. and Scrap hit the nail on the head, so to speak. The heat must be going out through my head, making my extremities get cold first. You see, I tried wearing the ski mask I had with me - good wool one, but I took it off because it caused my breath to go up instead of out and it went under my glasses and fogged me up. So all I had on my head was a ballcap, with my coat hood on top of that. The coat hood is no slouch of a warmer, but apparently not good enough. Dang it, now what do I do - I can't take my glasses off. Maybe cut a hole in the nose portion of my ski mask or a balaclava-type unit, so that my breath can escape and not fog me up.

Dang it, now what do I do - I can't take my glasses off. Maybe cut a hole in the nose portion of my ski mask or a balaclava-type unit, so that my breath can escape and not fog me up.
Try putting one of those disposable sportsman's hot paks under your hat. Sorry, can't remember the brand name, but they're chemical packs that you open and when exposed to air get very warm for several hours. Wally World has 'em for about a buck apiece. I tried this some years ago out of desperation and found it works very well.

but I took it off because it caused my breath to go up instead of out and it went under my glasses and fogged me up.

Oh my God, tell me about it - I wear contact lenses, and they get dry as hell from my breathe going up into my eyes with almost anything I wear over my face, including the heat exchange thing mentioned above, but the polypropolyne balaclava is ok b/c air goes straight out. And forget about using binoculars with anything, you have to hold yer breathe or pull the mask down, or it's fogged up in 0.3 seconds. VERY frustrating...maybe that's the next BIG millionaire invention - something that keeps your breathe away, but is comfortable, too. Forget anti fog solutions, I'm a diver and even those eventually fog up, you need to physically keep the breath away - I'm gonna use a snorkel next time I go out, ha!

Back