How do you guys treat your hunting firearms?

I didn't read every post, but here goes,

Most of mine are from an era of "craftsmen"; hand machined and hand fitted, to that end, they deserve respect. I do use them in harsh conditions, but take proper care of them when the day or week is done, I don't baby them, but I don't abuse them either. Some are over 100+ years old and still perform like they're supposed to, I do have some from CNC machined era, and they too, do as they're supposed to. It's true they are tools, and built to "take it", but that is no reason to trash them. They were built to be used, so by all means use them, but don't expect them to perform if treated poorly. I'm done ! Peace Out !:D

It's true they are tools, and built to "take it", but that is no reason to trash them.
That's exactly it.

And, that statement, reworded just slightly, is what it took for my idiot mother-in-law and my wife to finally realize why I got so upset with them about careless damage to my/our things - vehicles in particular.

Just because it is expected to get worn, dented, dinged, damaged, and otherwise take some unintentional and incidental minor hits over the years, doesn't mean that it should be treated like crap from the very beginning.
Laziness and abuse are completely different than wear from normal use and maintenance.

I won't tell other people how to treat their firearms, unless their negligence is a safety risk for me.
But I do take care of my firearms. Incidental damage does occur, but I try to avoid it. I want every one of my firearms to last. I would much rather see something legitimately wear out, rather than get broken through negligence.
About half of them, after all, are not just older than myself, but older than my father - and a few are older than my grandfathers.

Love your guns , they love you back. Yes they are tools , but tools that are like a good level , a quality paint gun , or high end set of ratchet wrenches . I wouldn't bang them around , not clean them , or leave them laying in dirt .

I don't own 2 or 3000 dollar guns, but neither are they China made pieces of junk . I clean them as often as needed , treat them with fair care in the field , and transport them with utmost care. From what I have seen from my guns , it shows !!!

GUV, I have been around shops a long time. I have seen guys that even wax their tool boxes. It is not 100%, but usually guys that are nit-pickey with their tool boxes are not too dedicated to the job they are at. Just my opinion.

Never waxed my tool box but I like to keep it organized. Helps me to find or see what may be missing.:mad: I work with guys who just throw their stuff in the drawers in a giant heap, I can't work like that.

I didn't pull a car out of my bay without accounting for all my tools.

Then I washed then in my parts washer.

I never waxed my tool but I did wax my box, had more money in it than I did my truck.

You know if you're not nit picky about your tools you'll run out of tools to work on cars pretty fast..

And good tools cost.

^^^^Exactly, tools aren't cheap. How a neat well kept tool box means inferior workmanship is one I had never heard before.
Sounds like a good time to buy your own tools and get after it.

I'm still using tools from 65 years ago. :) I don't claim to be super meticulous, but all my tools are organized--that way, I don't have to search for any particular one. Whether "car smithing" or gun smithing, I want my tools fully usable and readily available. Same for guns and knives.

It takes no talent or special ability to be sloppy and slobby. :D

Back to how some people treat their guns. Someone mentioned Swamp People earlier in this post. I gotta say, I have never seen such a rusty neglected gun as Bruce's old 22. It seems to have found a permanent home at the bottom of the swamp in one episode. And there is another guy that looked like he had an old Browning semi auto (bottom ejecting) that looked worse than some of my old t-posts! Harsh environment for sure!

I'm with Hawg. I treat them nice but I use them. I'm not into safe queens. Bumps on tree limbs and a little loss of blueing is expected. But I try to keep them nice and last.
Yesterday was a good example. I was out hunting mountain lions with some friends. We were on horseback with dogs. I had my newer Rossi 92 in 357 mag. The sling was too tight to get it over my head so I laid the rifle across my lap behind the pommel. I forgot that there is some decorative iron work on a small part of the saddle that scratched up the stock a bit before I noticed it and switched the way I was carrying it. In some way I'm glad the scratches are there and it's not perfect because that means I'm actually using the rifle the way it is meant to be used.

All my guns are tools. My hunting rifles are heirloom tools with heirloom damage/scratches from undoubtedly historically significant hunts. They will get handed down, scratches and all.

They way I see it, it is a tool and nothing more. I treat them as I would a hammer, tossing it over obstacles, dragging it through the dirt, having it bounce around my truck almost every day of the year, clean it once every few month and never worrying about it.

I wouldn't toss a hammer over an obstacle much less a gun I hunt with.

Why would you drag a gun through the dirt? It might be a tool, but it should still be taken care of.

My hunting rifles are used. The scratches and dings are honest and I'm okay that they happen but I don't set out to abuse them either.

I'm just wondering how other people treat there hunting guns.

They way I see it, it is a tool and nothing more. I treat them as I would a hammer, tossing it over obstacles, dragging it through the dirt, having it bounce around my truck almost every day of the year, clean it once every few month and never worrying about it.

I guess quality parts give me a good sense of mind.

How do you guys go about with your hunting equipment?

I treat my hunting guns the same way I treat all my guns, with great care and respect.

I treat my hunting guns very well, but they are there to be used in all weather conditions. I have to say I have never used a rifle as a walking stick or crutch and I certainly don't drag them through the mud unless I fall down.

On steep mountain slopes...I sometimes use my rifle or shotgun as a walking stick, like my $1,000 Kimber 22 rimfire Classic and my $1,000 SAKO Model 75 in 30-06.

Back