How do you fire a warning shot?

Warning shots, shooting a fleeing suspect...

At my agency we're forbidden from firing warning shots. As far as the legality of shooting a fleeing suspect, the rule we're taught is it's legal only if they pose an immediate threat of violence (i.e. they're carrying a weapon, there are other citizens present for them to harm, etc.)

This, like most legalities, is subjective and gets evaluated and hashed out later in the shooting investigation, so you can't really give a "for example" scenario.

CDS

Not having ever fired in anger, all sources that I have studied both in the military and in the civilian world say that your first warning should be shot center mass.

Go back and find the deputy and tell him to read up on case law concerning the use of force/deadly force because he doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.

If you need to draw a weapon, the situation has already deteriorated to the point that further warning of any kind is a waste of time and might well be hazardous to your own health. The only "warning shot" that is fired should be the one (or two, or three!) that enters the bad guy's X-ring. :cool:

Back