How Do You Evaluate What's Necessary For EDC

I've had a couple of DGUs but I've never had to shoot anyone or even at anyone. I base my choice of weapons on training, observation and what recognized SMEs and reputable trainers have advised.

I got several opportunities to attend various defensive pistol classes over a four year period. I had a chance to try several of my guns and weed out the ones that don't work for me. I got to try my other equipment in "field" conditions and refine what I carry and where and how I carry it.

This doesn't really apply to my gun but I've also had opportunities just in my daily life and work life to note what I actually used or didn't use what I got caught short on because I didn't have it.

I've had a chance to observe the local cops (mostly to see what kind of cold weather gear they use) and watch what they do and how they do it. I carry two flashlights because every cop I interact with has a little one in his/her shirt pocket or hanging of their body armor and a big one on their belt. I've also noticed I've never seen a cop in a big, heavy, bulky, would really be a pain in the ass if you had to fight someone while wearing it winter coat unless they're at a traffic accident or some other static scene. It's been my observation that the local cops, the county sheriff and the state patrol all carry two reloads. I've also read blog posts by SMEs such as Masaad Ayoob that say " If the cops carry two reloads it only makes sense that you should carry two reloads.

I've also learned the hard way. After YEARS of saying "It'll never happen to me" I left my gun in a bathroom. Thank God I was alone but I've never had my gun off my person outside of my home since. Which takes me back to what I said earlier, there is no way I'd deliberately leave a gun unsecured at at work. It's also been my experience that even if you're not paying attention your coworkers are paying attention to you. If I were to walk around treating my back pack like my baby it would be noticed and it would be questioned. God forbid someone should find an AR pistol and several magazines in there I'd be the one treated like an active shooter.

I'm getting ready for work I'll add more later

Think about scenarios that make sense for your area and situation.

Think about what scenarios that you can reasonably prepare for.

Think about which of those scenarios you, personally, are able to prepare for in terms of physical capability, spending ability, training, aptitude, etc. Some of those factors you can change, some of those aren't so fluid.

Once you have a set of scenarios that you can actually work with, then you look at what people with experience/knowledge and training recommend for those scenarios. Then you look at what makes sense for you and that's your answer.

And finally, this is the most important step, and the one that people seem to have the most trouble with: Realize the limitations of your preparation rather than pretending that you've covered all the bases and now have the perfect approach for anything that comes your way.

Also follow the local news to see what crimes occur and how often. I have the distinct impression that Colorado Springs, like almost everywhere, is getting crazier.

depends on what you feel you need. Depends on you assessment of risk. If you are talking a work place, it depends on what the job is. Location and job are big indicators. are you in a high crime area has your job been robbed before? has it been robed frequently? do you work in a bank, check cashing location, gas station, pawn shop gun shop, or in a big company office that does not see traffic from the public.

Unsecured and or unsupervised weapon, NEVER. you could secure it, quick access trigger lock and a cable to your desk. Locker would be nice, or in your vehicle. otherwise that backpack has to go everywhere you do, and to me, that would be out of place and a dead giveaway.

Personally, If i feel I need a rifle or PCC type system, I'm avoiding that area or scenario if at all possible, even if it means looking for a new job.

Unsecured and or unsupervised weapon, NEVER. you could secure it, quick access trigger lock and a cable to your desk. Locker would be nice, or in your vehicle. otherwise that backpack has to go everywhere you do, and to me, that would be out of place and a dead giveaway.

I can't imagine doing all that in a cube farm without everyone around you noticing what you're doing.

Personally, If i feel I need a rifle or PCC type system, I'm avoiding that area or scenario if at all possible, even if it means looking for a new job.

Ya think?

The first thing I look for is how well I can hold it. How does it feel on my hand? I was at a gun show a few weeks ago and found a Smith model 28 I'd been looking for for a long time. I've had them before, but sold them off. When I held this one, it just wasn't the same. Not a good choice for EDC.
Then, I look at what my friends carry. I have some friends who buy something just to get the job done. Another friend is the guy who buys top of the line right from Cajun Gun Works. I try to get in between those extremes.
Finally, I decide how I'm going to carry - pocket, belt, etc. Is it always going to be on my person, or will I take it out when I get into a vehicle? Can I take it out of the holster and put it back in unobtrusively?
So, I pocket-carry a SIG P365 that can easily go on my belt, and can be drawn or holstered easily. An extra magazine rides in the other pocket.
I carried a Ruger LCR in 38 for awhile, but it hurt to shoot.

As I understand it, OP is not asking what he should carry, but how he can decide rationally what to carry.

It is really a personal decision. It sounds like you are on your way in considering worst case scenarios and what you might need to respond. No one can be prepared for everything at every moment, and attempts to do so become comically absurd. At the same time, planning for just the "average" encounter means that nearly half of the possible incidents will be beyond your capability.

Whatever you carry, you are better prepared than the overwhelming majority of today's citizenry. You sound like a thinking person. Keep working the problem, imagining scenarios and how to deal with them, and equip yourself thus. Most people don't carry anything, and among the few that do most carry a pistol or revolver that they are comfortable both concealing and shooting, and I imagine a majority carry a reload in case of mechanical failure. Find your comfort level in that zone and you will be fine.

As I understand it, OP is not asking what he should carry, but how he can decide rationally what to carry.

That's pretty close. I'm comfortable with one of my Glocks and two reloads. I'm really more trying to understand the mindset that thinks carrying an SBR at work is best practices

What do you require in a defensive pistol? Depends on your age, do you actually work, are you retired? And of course, what State you live in.
I lived in Canada for 36 years, no carry of pistols for non Law Enforcement.
Now as a US Citizen, living in Florida, retired firearms instructor. I carry every day. The same pistol. Glock 19 spare G17 magazine (two extra rounds) a folding knife, a Surefire light, in a belt holster. Hot weather Florida Shirt, cold weather, sweater/coat? Keep our Jeep Cherokee in the garage, always, it never stays on the street. Monitored alarm. Remote on, remote off.

The only part that ever malfunctioned, the factory purchased extended slide lock. (slide release?) broke. Happened at the range, whilst my Son and I were taking our yearly re-qual. G-License.
That is the only fault I have ever had with a Glock pistol, ever. A 9mm 15+1 is a real good loadout. Outside the belt holster, strong side, at around 4-30.
Purchased a Glock 43X 10+1, very slim, it came with steel night sights.
But I still go back to the G19! I shoot it the best. Which is what counts, yes?

As We Age Your Carry Weapon Of Choice Changes .
After Years Of Carrying . You Find What Works For YOU
Started In 1982 Mouse Guns To Big Guns Revolvers To Autos .
Now Down To SIG 365 9MM,S&W MP40 C Or RUGER SP101357 mag

Last edited:
I've had a couple of DGUs but I've never had to shoot anyone or even at anyone.

That is not a DGU. That is brandishing, not saying it was illegal but...

If I feel the need for a rifle I probably would not go as I am semi retired and not required to intervene any longer.

That is not a DGU. That is brandishing, not saying it was illegal but...

If I feel the need for a rifle I probably would not go as I am semi retired and not required to intervene any longer.
Nope.

I don't remember the guy's name but he did the study about how there are two million (estimated) DGUs every year and most of them end without any shots being fired. According to his terms it was a DGU or what Arizona would call a Defensive Display.

To Brandish is

wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

"a man leaped out brandishing a knife"

Either way I'm not going to argue semantics. In either case had the person continued the behavior that prompted me to draw in the first place I would have fired

I don't remember the guy's name but he did the study about how there are two million (estimated) DGUs every year and most of them end without any shots being fired. According to his terms it was a DGU or what Arizona would call a Defensive Display.

By those standards I have been involved in over a thousand DGU's. Working as a cop in the inner city my MO was: When in doubt, whip it out.

Last edited:
By those standards I have been involved in over a thousands DGU's. Working as a cop in the inner city my MO was: When in doubt, whip it out.
I understand what you're saying. I think the guy's name was Kleck(?) and he's supposed to be an expert, he says it's a DGU.

Either way you know what I'm trying to say and anything else is just you trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

Either way you know what I'm trying to say and anything else is just you trying to be the smartest guy in the room.

Oh I get what you are saying. I always looked at a DGU as a defensive shooting. That seperates the wheat from the chaff.

That would be Gary Kleck.

Only when I am alone am I the smartest one in the room.................

Oh I get what you are saying. I always looked at a DGU as a defensive shooting. That seperates the wheat from the chaff.

That would be Gary Kleck.

Only when I am alone am I the smartest one in the room.................
I'm almost positive I'm going to say this wrong but if Kleck is the recognized expert then his terminology is what's accepted. I agree there is a huge difference between a defensive display and a gun fight but apparently DGU is the accepted term.

Back