How do you compare guns when shopping?

I have a 'list' of guns or types i wanted. When something i happened across for a deal or i felt the itch I'd get it. These were the basics of my collection production guns. Helped keep me focused when i got to the shop to have an objective in mind.

Then i have a second list of unicorns which is much more extensive. These are guns that i don't actively pursue due to rarity or asking price. An example would be like a colt python. Sure I could get one anyday for 2k. But i'd rather wait and stumble across the 800 dollar old duty gun an retired cop is selling @ a gun show. or something. More history more interesting. I take my time with these I enjoy the hunt.

I am now at the point where I dont really shop for anything. I kind of just hope to find something special. Most gun shops dont carry much that interests me. I usually have to order it special. To be honest its nice not wanting everything in the case like when i started getting things. Since little of it interests me I can make better choices.

Frankly, I don't think you are being critical enough. This is your hard earned money...make a gun work for it.

#1 grab the gun...how did it grab off the table. Easy, or did you reposition like 5 times.

#2 fit to hand....close your eyes and feel every finger plus the heel of your hand. Is it fitting like it was made for you, or are things a bit off.

#3 point it.....that is fake draw it onto a target point. How did the sights come up to your eyes? Is it ready to fire? Is it pointing slightly up or down?

#4 shoot it....what 2 handed group sized. Now low ready to 2 shots COM. Easy, hard, time?

#5 holding a suspect...easy? Safe? Ready?

#6 after....how easy to reholster? #of stems.

Happytrails had a good point. Its the hunt.. thats part of what i enjoy. I missed out a bit on the hunt and felt robbed.

I first decide exactly what I want the gun to do, it's main purpose. Then I break it down to how much I'm able to spend, which brands I know and trust, and what caliber and style gun I'm going to want. Then it's research, research, research, learning all I can about guns that would fall into these categories. Once I have my list of interest narrowed down, I'll start visiting the gun shops to get hands on with each gun, looking for what feels good in the hands, handles well, functions well, meets all my important to me qualities. And when possible, shooting a rental of the ones I'm interested in. After that, making a choice is easy, usually.

I don’t go to a store to compare.
I normally know what I want to buy and do a lot of research, opinions and professional opinions.
I also go to Gun blast on You Tube and see if he has done any reviews of the gun. I like his comments and since he is doing it on his own and not given guns it’s not like the NRA magazine where no matter what the gun it's “Good”
Then I usually go to on line sales like armslist and Guns America for what others are selling them for and go to all my books and figure out what I will pay.
Then I go and look at one and if I like the feel and it’s what I expected then the only thing is price.
In the 35 years I have been collecting guns I have never once went in and compared two guns to pick one of them out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPiAF0vx44

Nowadays, with the exception of the 1911, I have to shoot them to find out if I really like them. The 1911 fits my hand like no other and I can shoot them best of any style gun. I used to simply use a sight-clearing exercise to find out what I thought best, or at least "good enough" to warrant further study. I will still use that, that is, if the sights clear immediately it's a yes, if I have to fiddle with the grip to get a good sight picture it's a no. But it will no longer be a lock to buy-I made that mistake with a rather expensive weapon that now sits in my safe, barely used.

Back