how do you carry when you workout/run/are at the gym?

I leave my 642 in the gym bag and carry the bag with me wherever I go it's a small one large enough to carry a towel ,water ,and an extra t shirt. It's under the shirt with 2 speed loaders.

I asked the same question to an retired LEO and he sent me a belly band. Both my LCR and SP101 2.25" fits very well and no-one, absolutely no-one knows that I'm carrying. I'm slim build size 40 jacket and 30 inch waist so a bulky excersize top doesn't show anything. I just turned 68(Iknow my Avatar say DH1950).
Hope that helps you.

Last edited:
This is a problem I've considered often. Running with a gun in the pocket won't work so I think a belly band might the only on body option. I refuse to carry off body. A micro .380 or .38 would probably be the only feasible option for me. In addition, I wouldn't want to sweat all over my gun each time I work out. Might have to wear an undershirt between my skin and the gun.

Also, for the poster who was wondering why one may need a gun at the gym: you may need it anywhere, you just don't know. Crazies and jerks exist everywhere. Plus, your trip to the gym and back home are considerations as well. I carry not for the odds, but for the stakes...

If biking or hiking I carry a 642 in a pocket holster. When my kids were smaller I'd run with them in a jogging stroller, and just carried my Glock 22 with a light on it and a spare mag in the storage compartment in the jogging stroller. Now that they're bigger I just don't carry when I run, not really possible.

If I carry when at the gym (occasional, when not at my own gym) I wear cargo shorts to workout in and pocket carry.

I've tried carrying while running - ehhhh...........just not happening.

I leave mine in the car, but then my gym is in a retirement housing development and the few young folks who are members are serious about their workouts, not chatting.

I've never carried a weapon while working out in a public gym. (Even as the guy who was the commonly designated 'gun nut' when I was a younger man.)

Is the gym you attend so dangerous you anticipate being threatened with serious bodily injury or death?

I'd not leave a weapon in a public gym locker either.

Well said. But I will add that in Vietnam, a weapon of some sort was never out of reach. Shower points included. Rod

I just figure if there's real trouble while at the gym, there's always a lot of old fat ladies to hide behind.
And the gym bag with all the stuff in it makes a pretty good weapon itself.
:)

Back