How do you carry longarms in your canoe?

Vt.birdhunter

Planning on a trip into the BWCA, thinking about picking up a Kolpin Gun boot.

How do you transport scoped rifles and shotguns in a canoe, while keeping them accessible? Ill use a good wipe on oil no matter what.
You tether to boat or your body? A body tether sounds like an anchor:confused:

Seal primers/case necks with clear nail polish?

New ground for me, Id appreciate any advice, TYVM.

No need to seal primers. Water won't hurt ammo - just dry them good when you're done to prevent tarnishing. There are some floating cases that duck hunters use. They won't prevent your gun from floating off if you tip over but at least they won't sink.

Allen and Bass Pro's in house brand "Red Head" both make a really good floating gun case.

However, it is designed primarily for duck hunting shotguns, but you could put a non scoped traditional rifle in there, like a Model 94 or a Marlin 336.

It's not watertight, but you can tether it to your canoe and when you flip, your gun will stay with the canoe, which isn't a bad deal.

accessible?

I can appreciate that part of your question. I was there 2 summers ago for a 100 mile Venture trek - Amazing experience. My son and his 2 buddies strongest paddlers always in the lead -all had cameras, came around a bend on the Forest River and there was a bull moose. No one got a picture before it turned and disappeared into the thick brush and it is thick. Not sure of your game and regulations but best tether it somehow if you can shoot from the canoe.
That said I'm sure you'll rent a real touring canoe - we had 3 guys and our gear in 18' We-no-nahs, very stable canoes. While the area is flat with gently meandering rivers and small lakes. The wind and waves on the big lakes did scare the you know what out of me several times but we never had a problem. Good luck and take pics (after you get one;)
Cliff

I've done a descent amount of duck/goose hunting from a canoe.

Shotgun is easy, a floating case. A scoped rifle is more difficult... I'm not certain I've ever heard of a floating rifle cases. I'm not sure a Pelican would float, and I've used them extensively. I would consider attaching the case to the canoe or a crab float for the case of a tip over or swamping.

Also, dry bags are a must, and ziploc baggies are your friend!

Heard its ok to shoot from a moving canoe; but I will confirm prior to hunting. I think shooting from a motor boat in motion is a no no.

But just as Cnimrod mentioned, guy in the bow of boat has the chance to jump a lot of game.
I like the idea of a soft float case tethered the to boat.
I imagine a hardcase could be quite loud bumping and shifting around in an aluminum hull.

Last edited:
I have hunted geese from a canoe in a river.Especially when alone the gun must be very accessible so I just used a tether, 1/8" line from canoe to shotgun. Never tie anything to you as you might be tangled and pulled under !!!
For just carrying I used a waterproof gun container .It's soft but provides some protection. Remember that everyone in the boat has to have a licence and gun !!. For other transportation get a heavy duty waterproof case.
I never shot to the side of the boat. I did however meet a fellow [ didn't know his skills ] who shot a 7mmMAGNUM off the side of theboat and he, gun , and boat rolled over !:eek: Remember that in winter and go over you have a serious problem of wet and cold !! Make sure you have proper emergancy gear !!!

Have canoed the BWCA in MN a couple times. Your allowed to have weaponry along from what I was told in Ely MN. Cross over into Canadian water though with any undeclared firearm you'll get a vacation stay free of charge in the Queens lock up. Keep in mind (both) sides of the BWCA's boarder have many spy'ing eyes with high powered binoculars and soon to be a very tall & efficient state of the art cell phone repeater. To be built quite near one of its boundary lines as I understand. A item very helpful for those visitors reporting to LE something suspicious observed. Maybe so maybe not. But your the one with the gun observed.
IMHO: come up and enjoy out pristine Federal & State protected wilderness area (BWCA) and catch some really nice fish in one of the last most peaceful places in the US-of-A.
FWIW: For your convenience. Leave the gun/s at home when canoeing the BWCA. (a nudge suggestion from this computer's operator.)

Yup! then again:
If you canoe with a long gun. Case it and then tie it somehow to your boat. Not tied. Even a cased long gun lost in a current of fast moving water back in the woods someplace. Bye bye< more likely then> Hello my old friend. Is surely heart felt.

I have a little paddling experience.
I can't say I took a rifle along.
There is always a little water in the bottom of the canoe.It drips off the paddle when you switch.A little water climbs in the boat once in a while.I recommend a large sponge .
But you do not want your rifle laying in the bilge.

I suggest you rethink"easiy accessable".IMO,your rifle should be secured to thwarts or up under a seat.I like the 1 in wide cam lock straps available from outfits like NRS.Your canoe or a rental?If it is yours,you can outfit it with attaching points.If it is a rental,assume you will only have the thwarts.

If you have a secure,strapped in, set of waterproof river bags strapped into the canoe,midship,low,you could attach rifle rifle over the top of those.

It is nice if you can stay upright and dry.Pack with the assumption you will dump it.You do not want to hunt down scattered sinking stuff.You do not want to lose essential gear in the bush.

Also realize there are few places in acanoe you can put a long gun without the muzzle being pointed at someone.Be very conscious of keeping the rifle unloaded.
I suggest you just lose the idea of shooting from the canoe. The greatest tool you have for keeping your canoe stable...and upright,is your paddle.You need two hands on it.The paddle on the water is like a walking staff.If you are determined to hunt from the boat,bow man only with the rifle
I suggest,travel backpacker light,plus just a little comfort.Not much.A canoe is not a pickup truck.Every pound you leave behind is a pound of buoyancy.Your boat will float higher,respond better,be faster if it is lightly loaded.All the gear must be repacked every day,and,consider the portage.Do not be the guy with 6 trash bags full of WalMart inventory laced in with 300 ft of paracord and 79 knots.(No,I don't want to talk about how I know that!)
I put together my river outfit,based on two waterfroof river bags.Tent,thermarest,sleeping bag fit in a 1.2 cu ft Bill's bag.Everything else went in a 2.2 cu ft Bill's bag.3.4 cu ft would be a monstrous backpack.
Also a day pack for the small accessable stuff,and some water.A gallon water jug is great for fine tuning trim.Look at the water on the bilge.Use it like a bubble level.
I suggest you beach and secure your boat(always tie it to something)then get your rifle out.
NRS or Bills bags does sell a long,skinny dry bag for tents,etc.It might work.

And,they sell raft repair material and glue.You could use those to make your own dry bag for your rifle.Myself,I think a Kolpin hard case in a canoe would be cumbersome.
IMO,there is a lot to be said for fishing and taking pictures.For a deer....44 mag handgun is more suited to a canoe.It would handle a black bear problem.
Moose ?Well,OK.But,IMO,a classic Bubba'd Milsurp carbine ,like an 20 in bbl Yugo mauser in 8mm loaded warm with heavy Noslers is a canoe rifle.Or a Mosin.A battle rifle that can get wet and beat up,yet hit at 100 yds Then,don't worry.Be happy.Wipe it off and oil it every night.Fastex strap it muzzle forward to the bow seat.You could have a little rope loop off the bow "deck plate" to poke the muzzle in..Then its strapped in,secure.Wrap it in something waterproof,like cheap grey tarp if you like,cut to size.A stocking foot hip wader? Red ball makes them.Leave the weatherby at home.

Last edited:
I use a Cabelas waterproof, floating case for my rifle and shotgun. I tie it down, and all my gear also,including a spare paddle. I have a 13 ft Oldtown and it's very quick. I paddle on my knees often to keep the center of gravity low, I change to the seat on shore carefully when the comfort level gets bad.With my artritis that's often! A great way to get off the beaten path.Good hunting.

My spooky old grey haired daddy,,,

My spooky old grey haired daddy,,,
Used his rifle stock as the canoe paddle.

Not recommended unless you like rusty .22 rifles.

Aarond

Ridgerunner:I'm not telling you how to live.Do things however you want.Enjoy!

For myself,that line would be coiled and stuffed under the bow grab handle.

I do not use tethers in any small boat,unless its a weak cotton string,easily broken.

Its just a standard of river safety.Entanglement can kill you.

True enough I reckon...but it works for me.

On rough water...I'd be more concerned.

I too have a little paddling experience...and floating flat, smooth, slow moving shallow water isn't the same as bouncing down white, fast moving, rock infested water.

Last edited:
My question is, are you going to the BWCA to hunt specifically, or are you considering taking firearms along with the hopes of getting a few shots in? I used to go to the BWCA quite a bit when I was younger(20 years ago). Between the limited space and weight capacity of the canoes and the amount of portaging we did, taking anything along that was not absolutely necessary became a burden. Remember, you have to bring everything out with you that you take in...this includes empty shell casings. Anything you shoot(unless you stay close to civilization) will have to be ate immediately as ice and cooler space will be limited.

I've also hunted many times outta a canoe. For years it was the only way we hunted ducks on the river. Whether hunting, fishing or just plain paddling for the fun of it, anything of value that I'm not actively using is tethered to the canoe somehow. In current or in wind, you'll have a hard time retrieving everything after capsizing that is not tethered, even if it floats. Canoeing is hard on firearms, and the BWCA will be even harder. I would not take a prized shotgun or rifle unless I could afford to replace it.

Had planned on paddling in via easy portages and setting up for a week or so in an area that looks promising for bird hunting. Shotguns broken down in float cases, tethered to canoe should be manageable.

As mentioned by others though, I would love to put a beat up 12 gauge securely near the bow for "opportunity" shots coming around corners and such.

Anything shot would be consumed that day.
If we're skunked on birds, we will fish at dusk. If the fish avoid us, we will eat colon clogging mountain house freeze dry meals. Sounds like heaven, right?:p

The dried mixed fruit option can help with the Mountainhouse.Apples,apricots,and prunes.

Frying up fish requires an oil/grease.Challenging in a canoe.I have found boiling fillet chunks in salt water edible..Uncle Bens type parboiled 10 min rice and a handful of freeze dried peas makes a meal.

If you are going to have fried fish,I suggest take small cans of evap milk,flour,lawry's,and pepper.POur the milk over the fillets,season,flour,..

I suggest finding one of the cast aluminum hard anodized Dutch Ovens for your fry pot,large boil pot,dishwash hot water,etc.You can campfire bake biscuits with it,or do a fine job of roasting whatever bird you shoot.Heritage House is a fine source for dry vegetables.Example,with celery,carrots,onion you have a classic beginning to cook many things.A handfullof spinach flakes or dry mushrooms does a lot for rice.

Oh,search "condiment packs"..you'll find an outfit "Mini.." something.You can get all sorts of little packets,from peanut butter to mayonnaise,salsas,etc.

That fish coating I suggested makes a thin ,cracker like coating that won't fall off and clutter your oil.I,d probably go lard.

If you need to know how to boneless filet a Northern,ask.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/10_hard_anodized_dutch_oven/camp_cookware_dutch_ovens/

Last edited:
Had planned on paddling in via easy portages and setting up for a week or so in an area that looks promising for bird hunting. Shotguns broken down in float cases, tethered to canoe should be manageable.

As mentioned by others though, I would love to put a beat up 12 gauge securely near the bow for "opportunity" shots coming around corners and such.

Coupla questions. How many folks goin' with how many canoes? What kind of bird hunting are you planning on doing....grouse or waterfowl? Taking a dog too? Is the primary reason for this trip to fish, hunt or just canoe the wilderness?

Back