How do the manufacturers sight in a rifle?

So howzabout a brand new shooter,,,

I don't care if they're sighted from the factory. First thing I do is go sight a gun in. I wouldn't think of shooting any target that mattered without verifying zero.

Of course you would Brian,,,
You are an experience shooter.

But a new shooter who doesn't have your experience,,,
Should have a reasonable expectation that the sights of his new rifle are "on".

The sights on my CZ-452 were so very close to spot on perfect,,,
Any variances less than MOA could be ammo related.

The sights of my H&R Sportster were also very close,,,
I'm talking about being within 3" of dead center,,,
I drifted them onto the target very easily.

But my brand new Savage Mark II is seriously off,,,
Like I said earlier it's about 11" from center.

I'll get my Savage drifted in,,,
I'm saying that I shouldn't have to.

I've had enough experience to know what to do,,,
But what about a person getting their first rimfire plinker,,,
I would expect any rifle manufacturer to deliver him a close to zero rifle.

My particular rifle could easily be an aberration,,,
But I'm still wondering what standard the manufacturers use.

If I were to ever tour a rifle manufacturing facility,,,
This is the part of the tour I would be the most interested in seeing.

I just want to know/read/see how modern manufacturers,,,
Align the sights to a new barrel.

Aarond

I think a reasonable shooter would expect a rifle's iron sights supplied with it to be close; nothing better. Same for a scope, it it's mounted by the factory.

I also think a shooter who's not forgot his grade school ratio and proportion math could figure out that if his first shots go 2 inches right and 4 inches low at 50 yards, the amount to move the rear sight would be easy to determine; both how much and which way by first calculating the ratio of sight radius to target range. This ain't rocket science.

There is no standard factory people use to set their sights. They may bore sight them, but probably don't.

I've never heard of anyone expecting a factory rifle (handgun, either) to be zeroed for whatever ammo the new owner chose to shoot. Far too darned many variables involved that the factory cannot control nor correct for.

English double rifle makers have a "regulator" who tests them for zero at 50 or 100 yards for the company standard load. The barrels are "regulated" by toeing in the muzzle axes so they cross at about 20 to 30 yards down range; the muzzle centers are closer together than the breech centers. The recoil moves them horizintally before the bullet leaves the barrel, right barrel shot moves that barrel axis to the right; opposite for the left barrel. The regulator moves a wedge between the barrels until both barrels shoot to point of aim. Sometimes, the customer would come to the factory so the way he held the double rifle would ensure a better zero. These are probalby the best factory rifles "zeroed" at the factory for shooting where the customer aims them.

I suggest you contact the rifle factory people then ask them about this. Then you'll be taking your issue direct to the core of the matter. Surely they know more than anyone posting on this thread about this issue. Until you do, you'll only have the reasoning of people posting to this thread.

Last edited:
Kraig, I'm not aware of any Anschutz .22 rimfire match rifle being sighted in when sold. They're shipped to distributors without sights and sold that way at retail.

Yes, some of the lower end Anschutz rifles had sights already installed. Those rifles were general just general purpose sporting .22s along the line of a Remington 510 or 511 type. And they do come with test targets. (Or at least they used to.)

Anschutz's test targets only show group size as tested for accuracy at 50 meters. That does not mean the rifle is sighted in for that range. Especially when the customer won't use the same make, type and lot of ammo as well as rarely a 50 meter range when first shooting it.

Too bad ignorant customers make these assumptions. But I understand why they think it. If they ever develop the skills and knowledge to shoot their Anschutz into no worse than 1 MOA at 50 yards/meters slung up in prone without artificial support, they'll understand their earlier assumptions' shortcomings.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, we've digressed,,,

My original question was:

At the factory, how are rifles sighted in?

I'm curious about the manufacturing process,,,
This question could also apply to handguns.

We got off on a tangent about whether it is desirable,,,
I don't mind debating this at all but my original query got lost. :o

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge about the manufacturing process?

Aarond

Anschutz's test targets only show group size as tested for accuracy at 50 meters. That does not mean the rifle is sighted in for that range. Especially when the customer won't use the same make, type and lot of ammo as well as rarely a 50 meter range when first shooting it

Splitting hairs, aren't we? Or am I just an "ignorant customer?"

My point was actually that some Anschutz rifles do come installed with sights.

No, not splitting hairs. Stating facts, at least from me. Yes, some Anschutz rifles come with iron sights on their barreled actions.

We are all ignorant customers when purchasing some things. Add we usually appreciate learning from those who aren't. I'm one of them.

None of Anschutz's user manuals for rifles sold with sights have any info on some range they may be sighted in for. All that's mentioned, if anything, is how to adjust their sights. Some even have pictures showing bullet impact off center on targets and telling the user which way to adjust the rear sight. Several mention setting their knobs to zero after getting a zero for the ammo used. Go to their web site's manuals page then check 'em out for what they say about being zeroed and adjusting sights.

Last edited:
Back