How do I lighten the trigger on Ruger M77 Mark II

Timney trigger came today and it’s installed - 2 1/2# trigger pull with 4 turns in on the lightweight spring. Over travel is zip.

Having to grind the right side for the safety to clear was a bit of a pain. I have a milling vice for my drill press but I have to use the press’s height adjust for the Y axis which isn’t very precise.

I milled a bit less than required then finished it with a rat tail file and a stone. I think after assy and dis-assy about 4 different times I got it perfect. I had to inlet the inside of the stock for the over travel protrusion to clear.

With the bolt charged and the safety on, I slammed the butt on the floor several times and it stayed firm.

I think I was near 6# with the factory spring and couldn’t hit squat. A lighter spring from Granger on the stock trigger assy was 5 1/2#. I play with the factory trigger and sear WITHOUT any spring and it averaged 4 - 4 1/4# - duh.

I’m looking forward to see how well I can shoot it now - worth the $121.50 investment imo.

""2 1/2 - 2 3/4 pounds is too light for a hunting rifle. Ruger quit making an adjustable trigger due to frivolous law suits.
found this on post #2, I believe it was.

I agree 3# or so. Why is that too light for any rifle. I know what you will say--SAFETY.. My guns all have manual safeties and have never had on discharge except when I squeezed the trigger.
poster #8 agrees.

My Ruger II has a Timney as do several others. Timney install was about 30 min.

With the bolt charged and the safety on, I slammed the butt on the floor several times and it stayed firm.

The proper safety check is:
-cock rifle, pull trigger, : fires at Correct weight = ok
-cock rifle, safety on, pull trigger high force: no fire/no movement = ok
-then safety off, pull trigger: should fire with same feel = ok
-cock, slam bolt : no fire = ok (reconfirm pull trigger = fire)
-cock, drop test : no fire = ok (reconfirm pull trigger = fire)
*this one is the hardest because dropped hard enough on the butt, I think all guns will fire. Also, at some drop height, the stock will crack
-cock, safety on, drop test : no fire = ok (reconfirm pull trigger = fire)
-cock, side/rear pressure: no fire = ok (reconfirm pull trigger = fire)

Back