How do I know what type of Remington 700 I purchased?

And please don't start bashing it when it won't shoot with that Tasco on there. Fine firearms and cheap glass generally don't mix well.

That's what I was thinking!!

The first thing I would do is put a decent scope on it and this will start a another debate, but IMO Nikon makes a great starter scope. You can get a 3-9x40 Prostaff for $150.00 great scope holds zero good glass.

Palm and Dpris,

My uncle checked it out for me........seems I'll be fine. I will wait on the purchase of a new scope after I shoot a few times.......yes the scope is a tasco, with 4-16x40. It probably cost about $75. If it works for me, than I'm saving my money for ammo;)

Connie

mrawesome22 is dead on with that suggestion. If you like to shoot and you want to do it a bunch with very good results, reloading is the way to go. It is much easier then one would think. All it takes is time and the willingness to follow the guidelines that people much smarter then most of us set in place. Well I'm off to read more out of the ABC's of reloading.

Connie,
What I was getting at is that a full-sized stock may not fit you correctly if you're built a little closer to the ground than the "average" sized male they're typically built for.
You'll shoot better and match up with eye relief better if the stock fits you, and that may result in either shortening the one you have or getting another one entirely.

No offense to your uncle, but men quite frequently don't understand the difference stock length makes in helping get women into riflery.

Denis

Dpris,

Does it make a big difference in benchrest shooting? I will be measured though and see if it is too long for me. I guess the real test will be when I am set up on the bench and I can't reach the trigger..;) My Uncle is my height, so I was just assuming if it felt comfortable to him it would to me.
MrAwesome............you have me reloading my own bullets already???
Thanks
Connie

Connie,
A good stock fit is even more important in benchrest shooting.
It's not being able to reach the trigger that I'm talking about.
You need to be able to settle in on the rifle, and you can't do that as well if the stock's too long for you. The right stock length also affects eye relief on your scope, if you're too far back on a long stock it may take some extra effort to get the right scope set up on your gun.

But, if you're the same size as your uncle, then hopefully you'll be OK.
There's a lot to learn about rifles, and if you're going to get serious about your own, it needs to fit you from stock to barrel to caliber to glass.
You've made a very wise decision in going with a .223. It's relatively cheap to shoot, and the lack of recoil will let you learn basics without having to deal with the distractions of heavier recoil.

Denis

Remington sent me this reply when I told them about the rifle I purchased

I can't wait to go to the range on Saturday.

"This is a Model 700 Varmint Synthetic. 26" bull barrel in an HS Precision made stock. It was made in 1996"

Looks like the original owner changed some things on the gun........and I'm not sure how to calculate the cost of changing things on a gun.

Sooooooooooooo excited !!!

Connie

Looks strangely familiar. Got mine last December. The H-S stock was $200.00 off E Bay and I like it a lot.

Picture042-2.jpg

Wow, That looks just like my gun.............can't wait until tomorrow.
I'll let everyone know how I do.......I thing the stock is a good fit for me, but not sure.

Connie

My height is 5 feet 4 inches. I didn't have any problems with the stock, it seemed to fit perfectly. It took a good 20 shots before I got the scope positioned correctly. Jeepers. :( I did do well though. I was shooting at 100 yards at 2 inch targets, and stayed within the one inch ring. I was disappointed in the beginning, hitting to the right and below the target. My uncle, showed me how to adjust it, and then I was doing really well. The tasco scope was fine once I got it adjusted correctly.

I also got to shoot my Uncle's M1 gun, using iron sites only..:eek:...WOW what a kick !!! Made my .223 gun feel like nothing in regard to recoil :)Shooting at 100 yards, through iron sites, is so difficult, great challenge though!!!!!!. Believe it or not, I hit within 2 inches of the bullseye........quite shocking and I repeated that with the next couple of shots. What a thrill !!!

I can't wait until next weekend, when we shoot at the 200 yard range.;)

For best results, the stock would most likely fit better if it were an inch or so shorter, but since you're new to this & happy with it, enjoy.
Quite possibly as you get farther into the game you'll have a better yardstick to judge by.

Speaking of which- Did your uncle show you the traditional way to quickly measure correct length of pull?

Denis

I had that exact same gun with the same stock. Even had a tasco scope on it at first. That's the BEST shooting gun I ever owned. Would put Five shot groups on a dime ALL DAY LONG at 100 yds.

You will love that rifle.

Hi Denis,

How do I measure the stock, so I know it is perfect for me........and if I do need it to be shorter, how does one go about that?

(Dave) - I hope I improve to the point, I can put the bullet in the same hole each time.
This was my third time ever shooting and only my first time shooting this gun.

I notice I did strain a little to get a good view through the scope, is that because the stock is a wee bit too long? I didn't have any trouble with the trigger pull.

Now, were do I purchase ammo on-line? and what does the difference in ammo grains mean? Can my gun take anything other than .223 ammo 55 grain? What if I want to shoot at 200 yards, what should the grain be to help my bullet reach the target? Sorry, so many questions.

Connie

That question about bullet selection is going to be a bit harder to answer. It is a lot of trial and error. It depends on what your gun likes, twist rate and so on. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly about what twist rate your gun has. a general rule of thumb is the heavier bullets will shoot further with less wind drift but at 200 yards the 55 grain bullets will do fine if they are shooting good at 100 yards.

A Sendaro??? Come on guys, a Sendero has ALWAYS been a long action, heavy barrel, recent developments are fluted with black flutes. Expensive, and shoots Dang-me well.

That rifle, at its finest could be an LTR. "Light Tactical Rifle", also a very good rifle that Police Departments have purchased for a Light Sniper Rifle.

Would make a great deer rifle in a heavier caliber.

Good Luck with it, break it in slow, and treat it well! :cool:

Bullet Selection?
Remington has always used slower twists in their rifles. The 52 grain Sierra Match King will shoot like a house of fire in tha baby. Just use their lout right out of the Sierra 5th Loading Manuel, and they will give the info to you for FREE right off their web site.
GOOD LUCK, GOOD SHOOTING

Back