How do I know what type of Remington 700 I purchased?

connieknwnj

I purchased a used Remington 700 rifle .223 centerfire, with a 4-16x40 tasco scope on it, yesterday. The barrel is 26 inches long it said precision and tactical on the tag that was with the gun. The barrel of the gun only has Remington 700 printed on it with the serial #. When I went searching the internet to see what the true cost was of this gun, I couldn't find it, mainly because they all have letters, like sps, vls, vtr,xcr,xhr. Where would I find these letters on my particular gun? I did find the numbers 6419 on the bolt action of the gun. Any ideas?
Thanks
Connie

You won't find the letters on the gun anywhere. All they are are indications of what features they come with.

If you could post a picture of the rifle it might help with the identification of the exact type.

The box has the model on it. And next time, do your research BEFORE you buy. That will give you the upper hand when negotiating a price.

The number on the bolt should just be an identification number to make sure that bolt goes with that gun. If you look it should match up with 4 of the numbers in the serial number.

Go to their website if it's a rifle they're currently producing. Lots of pix and lists of features.
Better yet, step away form the keyboard, mount a scope on your new rifle and go shoot it!

This was my second time going to a gun show, I did a lot of research, shot a couple of rifles, and thought I knew what I wanted, only after picking up a couple of guns, I saw this one and decided it was the one for me. I have to travel quite far to gun shows. So the idea, of running home to do research was out of the question. I had to go with my gut and my uncle's thoughts.

Here is a picture of the gun, and yes I do see the numbers on the bolt slide match the last four numbers on the serial. whheeeewww, thank goodness.
It is difficult being a newbie. ;)

The tag on the gun, said Remington 700, .223, tactical, precision, 26inch barrel. It came with a tasco scope. My uncle checked it out, looking down the barrel, the gun was not fired very often. The trigger is "as my Uncle states"......"oooo, nice, hair trigger". The dealer told us, that the man he bought this from didn't shoot this gun much, (or at all) that he had lost his job and had to sell his guns. How horrible for this individual.

Here are some pictures, perhaps you can give me some ideas. :)

remington 700 #1.JPG

remington 700 #2.JPG
Thank you,
Connie

Was the tag that said "Tactical" from the factory or did the dealer put it on there. Looks like a Varmit rifle that has had the factory stock replaced with one from HS-Precision.

If it is what you want and you got it at a fair price it should make you a good gun.

Looking at Remingtons website I'd guess it is an SPS Varmit with an aftermarket stock.

Does look like an early Sendero but will have to wait for the Rem700 experts to drop by. Main thing is you like it and it's got the features you want. Current production seems to have those silly fluted barrels.

It does look like the Sendero, but I've never seen one in 223. That's why I'm thinking Varmit rifle with after market stock.

Looks like a VLS barrel and action with a H-S stock put on it.

I'm almost positive the Sendero has always been high polished stainless, and only ever came in long action.

The tag on the gun, said Remington 700, .223, tactical, precision, 26inch barrel. It came with a tasco scope.
:D That's a good one.

The tag on the gun was put on by the gun dealer. I guess I may never know specifically what the gun is, but I'll report on how well it shoots, next Saturday when I take it to the range!!:D:D

If you call Remington and give them the serial number, they'll tell you for certain what it is.

And please don't start bashing it when it won't shoot with that Tasco on there.:D Fine firearms and cheap glass generally don't mix well.

Very nice looking gun and there is a good chance that it'll shoot fine with that scope on it. The low recoil of a .223 isn't near as hard on a cheaper scope as a large caliber rifle is. Don't go out spending $500 on a new scope immediately, you'll do fine. I really like the looks of that stock.

Last edited:
Ok Mrawesome,
I won't go beating on the gun.........who knows, it might be just fine for me.:rolleyes:
My eye sight is so good I can see the bullseye perfectly at 100 yards with my naked eye. Yeah right, if it wasn't for the spotting scope I wouldn't even know that I was hitting the target. Actually my first couple of times out shooting, I did quite well, hitting the bullsyeye, several times.... and hopefully, I'll improve, and start putting the bullet through the same hole each time!!;) I did contact remington through an email so perhaps they can give me a better idea.

I'll let you know what remington says about the gun!

Connie

Thanks Irish,

Let's hope the gun performs for me........little heavy for me, but I just need to get it to the bench rest and set up on the rifle rests........I can't wait until Saturday !!!!:)

Connie

Back