How did people hunt back in the day?

How did people hunt back in the day

They did wash their clothes, most likely with soap because they recognized how strong our body scent is.
I never cared for camoflughed clothing, though I did like my od fatigues and now use camp fatigues since that is all there is.
Blue jeans and outdoors regular clothing is more comfortable.
The one thing I despise is the Hunter orange , that is required. they say deer and some other game can't see the orange. That may be but they recognize an out of place white sheet or orange draped on a man and on his head. I'm adamant about this. They see the vest and coats and hats.
have to wear it or get a ticket. As far as getting shot by another "Hunter", I generally avoid the "malls" and crowds.
They see it very plainly and they raise the flag and they're off. If you're in blind they won't see it of course

I have to agree. On dark overcast days, or standing in front of a dark hemlock tree, an educated deer can pick out blaze orange. I have to admit they seem blind to it in snow, so maybe they see orange as white. The "Experts" are now starting to "Discover" that deer actually can see some colors.

The white buffalo hunters would only cut out the tongues of the dead buffalo and leave the rest of the corpse to rot.
The hides were taken and sold. They were doing it for the money, and the money came from selling buffalo hides. The meat was also sometimes sold, but that was much less common.
The passenger pigeon was shot to extinction --- The last one died in the 1930's.
They were killed and trapped by numerous methods. Shooting was one method. The last authenticated sighting in the wild was in 1900 and the last known specimen died in captivity in 1914. There were unsubstantiated sightings in the wild into the 1930s.

On the subject "white buffalo hunters only cutting out the bison's tongue"

I do not claim to be an authority,but this seems to disguise what was actually going on.
Please,I am not trying to place a value judgement on either scenario.

Yes,only taking hides and tongues was a gross waste.

My understanding of what was actually going on,the buffalo was the way of life for the plains Native American.
Wiping out the bison was more about a war on the Native American.

IMO,to look at it as hunters who would kill a bison for the tongue and hide,and waste the rest seems to miss a major point.

And market hunting? Yes,it certainly did have tragic results.

I would not smear a guilt trip about the passenger pigeon extinction on the sport hunter.

Man it really pains me to see people try to express their opinions as truth. But hey its the Web everything must be true right? I have owned hunting dogs all my life. For deer, rabbit, and squirrel. I've never once ate any meat from any of them that tasted any different than one killed from still hunting. Proper meat handling is important. The faster you cool a animal off after killing it is crucial. Meat spoils and if you carry it around for hours before skinning it than expect strong tasting meat. If the animal was running then it needs to beat cooled even faster. Gut it and tie a rope to it then throw it n the nearest creek if you are going to continue hunting or just go home and clean your animal. Yes the white man was greedy and wasteful. Killing buffalo did serve two purposes. Sold the meat, hides, and tongue for money. By the end of the Buffalo days the tongue was the biggest value of the animal. Some people believe the movies they see and some people actually do a little reading and research. Some tribes depended on the Buffalo before winter but other tribes never saw a buffalo. Small pox and many types of fevers purposely exposed to the natives thru blankets and fabrics had the same effects. Amazing how they made it all those centuries on this continent without gunpowder. Truth be told man has hunted man as long as man has hunted critters. Sorry for the rant ladies and gentlemen but come on let's label opinions as opinions and facts as facts. Some on here are trying to learn and some just talk because it makes em feel important and nobody to call their bluff.

Mr Boogershooter.I'm not entirely sure who you were trying to address,or quite what you were trying to say.
We DO agree on cooling out meat quickly.
I began by saying "I do not represent myself as an authority,then I said "my understanding",followed by "In My Opinion" (IMO),regarding hunting bison tongue.
So much for representing opinion as fact.
I clearly said "Plains Native Americans" which largely were a bison oriented culture.
Here is the first article I found on the question of bison slaughter as a strategy to reduce the NativeAmericans,by the Inter Tribal Buffalo Council.

http://www.itbcbuffalo.com/node/22

Here is a link to a PBS presentation on "The Buffalo War"

http://www.pbs.org/buffalowar/buffalo.html

I could go on about the legitimacy of what I identified as opinion by providing several more sources,but I think I made my point.
Yes,folks were killing and eating large animal meat long before gunpowder.There are buffalo jumps not far from my house. They got the job done.

Last edited:
HSBC I was agreeing with you 100% just adding a Lil extra to it. My rant was not intend toward you in anyway. I do alot of reenacting. War of 1812, French and Indian war, war for Southern Independence, and even a Lil bit of WW2. I've read many of the same literature you have I belive. I was n a bit of a bad move as my eldest son wrecked my truck going to a pond two miles down the road last night. I shouldn't have been posting while my blood pressure was up. I love to see educated people on here and enjoy reading their opinions of what they have learned. It's when people badmouth one thing or another based on what their buddy or uncle did one time. I consider myself dum to many things and know I will never have the knowledge on things I wish I did simply because their is never enough time in the day or week to give my job, my family, and my hobbies the time they truly need.

Mr Boogershooter

Cool.No heartburn. I guess I misunderstood.

Bummer about your truck.I hope your son is OK(At lest,before you got hold of him)

Re passenger pigeons: Food at hotel dining rooms, among other things. Night time harvesting via long poles as clubs on birds sleeping in trees. And, habitat reduction via cutting forests to create open farmland.

Bison: A direct quote included, "...destroy the commissary of the Plains Indian." The use of the hides for rugs and coats (as well as leather) was a deliberately created fashion fad in order to create a market and thus pay the hide hunters.

One of the last Passenger Pigeons seen in the wild was shot only a few miles from where I live. I regularly hunt the Oak Savannas that were once home to millions of birds. Funny how the once most numerous bird on Earth would be forever gone after only a coupla decades. You really would have thought someone would have had the sense to stop. I often wonder if that hunter that shot that bird by Babcock in 1899 was proud of what he had done. It was not subsidence hunting that killed off the Passenger Pigeon, but simple Human Greed. Very similar to the Buffalo. Neither died out because of hunting, but from mass eradication.

buck460XVR - So what state do you live in?

The Indians trapped bald eagles by digging out a pit big enough for a human, with a wooden barred cage on top with bait. Once the eagle landed on the cage to grab the bait...the Indian would raise his arm an hands between the wooden bars, so he could grab the eagle's legs.

I imagine the sport of falconry was practiced during the Colonial times.

Sometimes squirrels were "barked" out of trees by the Colonists, by placing a bullet just under the squirrel in the bark of the tree --- thusly knocking the squirrel out by concussion --- without destroying any meat.

Coon hunting with coon hounds, was also a favorite nighttime sport.

Probably many early settlers hunted deer or elk in moonlighted fields.

Pike fishing with a rifle was probably a favorite sport...by shooting at a Northern pike that is cruising on the surface.

Last edited:
Back in the day hunting was something that needed to be done when you started running low on meat. There were no seasons, limits, shooting hours, or fair chase. Basically they hunted like poachers do now.

Maryland's greatist hunter- Meshach Browning

Meshach Browning {1781-1859}, was an early backwoodsman and Maryland hunter.

He was Garrett County's most famous hunter, killing 2,000 deer and 500 bear during this 40 year period.

Meshach Browning wrote his book, titled: Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter --- Which is on sale on the Internet.

Link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meshach_Browning

Last edited:
buck460XVR - So what state do you live in?

IMG_2291.JPG

I'm surprised there is no European or Asian similar subspecies that couldn't be reintroduced. Or maybe find some dna to clone?

I'm surprised there is no European or Asian similar subspecies that couldn't be reintroduced. Or maybe find some dna to clone?

Already here. The pigeons you see flying all over the US crapping on statues are not native. They came from Europe.

kcub could take his blowgun to West 6th St. under the MoPac bridge most any night and have plenty of fresh pigeon meat. :D

Back