How Dangerous is thumb decocking?

IT's not dangerous at all. Only a few people said it but the KEY is that it's not THUMB decocking but MANUAL decocking using two fingers! IF you try to decock most autos with just your thumb you are asking for trouble.

You have to use two fingers gripping the sides of the hammer to have enough control, a THUMB alone particularly the shooting hand thumb is not going to work well and sooner or later BANG! and you deserve it!

I always put one finger on the forward face of the hammer so even if it slipped my finger would get pinched but the hammer wouldn't strike the firing pin. With a "b" model CZ with the firing pin safety the advice to let the trigger go forward before actually lowering the hammer is right on target. The firing pin is locked that way and it won't fire.

It's not dangerous at all as long as you don't try THUMB decocking, which should be called DUMB decocking.

:)

shiro

Not quite

Shiro,

Actually thum decocking is the most effective method. The moe fingers you use the greater the chance of a AD. ;)

Yea, I think you're right, Ledbetter. I wasn't aware of the half-cocked feature. That will make the DA/SA even easier than the Sig and Ruger.

My only dilema now is 9mm or .40S&W! No hi-caps allowed in Kali, which makes the .40 a strong contender.

I appreciate all the input...very informative!

Thanks,
TCW

9mm

I'd get the 9mm first. It is a little more accurate than the .40, and the recoil is a tad bit less. You can always get the .40 later on.

One other thought: the .45 ACP CZ 97B is the MOST accurate of the stock CZs. Have you considered that model?

Yea, I've considered the 97, but the price of the 75 is so appealing! If the funds are there, it might be the 97... The .45 is my favorite caliber. They don't have a de-cocker version for the 97, do they?

What finish is on the CZ-97?

No decocker version on the P97 yet. The finish on mine is polymer. I believe CZ also offers 97s in "Royal Blue" finish. The polymer is very glossy (shiny) though and I think the finish looks wonderful. The accuracy of this pistol is just unbelievable. If .45 ACP is your favorite caliber, save up for the 97....IMO it is an improvement over the 75s......

step number one: POINT THE PISTOL IN A SAFE DIRECTION!

step number two: with concious effort, slowly and calmly de-cock the pistol with your thumb.

If you follow these steps in the proper order, no one will get hurt if you screw up step number two.

If you can't get follow step number one, you're the person that's giving the rest of us a bad name.

Back