How can I self learn how to hunt?

I've said this before on this forum and I'll say it again. ALL the basics (other than scent control) you need to know about deer hunting can be learned from squirrel hunting at a fraction of the price. For squirrels, all you need is a well-sighted .22 or a shotgun and some hardwoods on public land. It doesn't get any cheaper than that. You'll make misstates -but making a mistake stalking a barking squirrel is not the same emotional drain as making a mistake on a good deer. Do that regularly for a full season and you'll be ready to start deer the next.

Hunting is not about the game you kill and more about the things you see . Hunting is being as close to god and the world that he has given you to enjoy.
Hunting is a church in the woods being close to life is hunting . No big secret to it just you and the time spent being in a place of peace and silence . Taking game is just a small part of hunting spending the time to find out just that you really are made off .

What do you want to hunt, and do you plan on hunting in your area? Only need a cooler if warm out, or if you won't get the game out right away.

The animal you choose makes a huge difference. Bird hunting is alot different than deer. Lots of walking, good exercise, need to be in so-so shape. Get to see more, so not as boring for some.

Deer hunting around here is a big cultural event. Schools close. You go camp hopping, or talk it up in bars at night. It can be tougher just starting out, depending on area. Blind hunting tends to be more productive, especially starting out. That can be boring for some.

Are you going to hunt farmland or woods? Big difference.

You can spend as much as you want. Some say hunters don't care about cost, because they spend so much. BS. I know lots of hunters that just go pick a good spot in the woods and sit. Only thing they buy every year is tag.

Many like to spend money on gear, it can be fun to do.

Pop up tent blind are easy to set up, and little safety concerns, unless populated area. Then being in a tree has advantages. But those are harder to set up, and need to be careful.

Down there you may be able to go hog hunting easy.

I just reading lots of people stories and questions on sites and books. Just keep in mind, many are just regular folks. Who may not know alot, and may not be able to admit it.

I'd maybe start small game hunting in September, learn the area walking and driving. Then go deer hunting in November. Just realize, unless you live in deer dense area, you may have some slow years. If you know any farmers they like people to shoot every deer they can.

While it can be disheartening not getting anything, little compares to deer for me. Big losses, but big gains when you get one.

Unless you lack money, I see no reason you can't do both. Around here, small game is before deer, and then starts up again after.

Go get a shotgun, and wander the woods in September. Looking for a good spot. Check to see if you can hunt with a rifle in your area, it may be shotgun, or rifles that shoot pistol rounds.

Don't put to much faith in them, but watching some hunting shows or reading some magazines can get the imagination going. Just realize them for what they are. But just starting out, can be fun.

Some people say they don't cover enough advance topics, but I like Richard P Smiths books.

Type hunting in Amzaon, read some reviews, and get a book or two.

recalling a movie about...

"you fish poorly,Pilgrim!"

There a several books but best is a mentor that you can spend sometime with.
Are you a member of a gun club or shooting club? Maybe there's someone you can get talking with or get some pointers from.

Is there a gunshop you hang around maybe they can direct you.

I'm a litle too far from VA.

First thing I would do is figure out where the public hunting land is. Then walk it all over to see what lives there. Maybe you'll find birds or other things.

If you were near wisconsin I would suggest trying up here. I've taken a lot of people out hunting when learning. Squirrels can be quite abundant and aren't exactly everyones hunting game. That can be a sit and wait thing.

Roaming the fields could flush grouse, quail, pheasants or many other birds.

A marsh could produce ducks and geese.

I would start with one or two animals and add new ones as you learn. Last year I took up duck hunting. It was a real learning experience.

Grouse hunting as a kid got me into pheasant and quail hunting a few years ago.

Lotsa good comments, but Post #6 is very good. The more time you can spend "out in the boonies", the better. Most animal movement is during the first hour or two of daylight in the morning and the last hour or two in the evening. Sitting and watching during those times is a good beginning in learning their behavior.

I grew up in Springfield, Va. You will need to invest in a bow to hunt anywhere near the beltway. There are some great deer in and around the beltway. I did a lot of hunting in Frederick and the surrounding Cotoctin Mountain area. Pm me if you want any more info.

What are you hunting?
Just practice putting a few rounds downrange and get good at shooting.

Then learn how to be pretty quiet. . .You don't want to scare anything away.

Join an outdoor shooting range --- Go to a public library, that hopefully has books and magazines on the art of hunting. Hunt a place that has actual huntable wild game on it.

be thankful for your harvest and properly tend to the meat ,hunting is NOT about the kill ,I am always saddened by the kill and thank the animal for their nourishment ,hunting is being part of the environment and blending in with nature

I am usually tired,and sometimes frustrated, from sitting out in the cold for days, and glad its over. Ha. Then the work starts.

Back