How can 2A supporters vote for Huckabee?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK PBP, I understand what you are saying and I agree to a point. No one here wants a Theocracy.

However, the Founding Fathers were quite clear in their belief of a Supreme Being (being God) and that our rights are God-given rights.

What I believe was intended by Huckabee was that the law of God is something that Judeo-Christians believe is immutable. There exists certain beliefs (Ten Commandments, etc) that are given from God and form a basis for our society. These are considered to be unchanging and constant - murder is always wrong, etc....

He is saying that the Constitution is a document that CAN be changed and to support the immutable laws of God (murder), abortion should be outlawed in the Constitution.

He is saying that supporting the right to Abortion because it is protected by the Constitution is flawed, as it goes against the laws of God. Therefore the law of the land should be made to be line with those immutable laws (murder, etc...).

It is not an indictment against the Constitution and how it should be changed willy-nilly to support the beliefs of the Religious. If you go back and read how the Founding Fathers worded some of their beliefs, you might think them to be Bible thumpers as well. But back then religion played a much stronger role in the citizens' daily life - the secular views we have today do not mesh with the views of the Founding Fathers.

But they left us one hell of a document to keep things going. Its just up to us to make sure that it only gets touched when absolutely necessary.

I hope I made some sense, I look forward to any critiques.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

Yep, the founders, bible thumpers that they were. Our rights are "God Given". Just for being alive, we have certain rights, rights that all men have, given by our creator.

So you agree that christianity should be our national religion and that the constitution is secondary to the bible?

No, and of course it is...

he made his stance clear that the law of god is above the constitution.

Still have yet to see where this is a problem...its not like he said he won't respect the Constitution, just that he holds his religious beliefs higher, something that is great and is commendable for a man in his position to say to the public...very honest, much like the rest of his campaign

That clearly demonstrates his belief that the constitution is secondary to biblical teachings. That would open the door to illegalizing alcohol, sex outside of marriage, inter-racial marriage, single parent births, and a ton of other things.

First sentence, yes, it is secondary in my opinion. Lastly, what, he never said that, and besides this is not a dictatorship, just because he wants something to be does not mean it is definitely going to happen...relax a little.

However, the Founding Fathers were quite clear in their belief of a Supreme Being (being God) and that our rights are God-given rights.
Actually, many of the founders and other prominent figures (including Ben F.) made clear in private writing that they did not believe in a christian god. It was just required to state so publicly and they did so for the greater good.

"I believe it's a lot easier to change the constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards," Huckabee said, referring to the need for a constitutional human life amendment and an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

"God's standards"? Which ones, exactly? Genocide? Death for simple rule violations? Or shall we just pick and choose, as usual?

The Bible is full of "God's" commands, things like stoning to death anyone who works on the Sabbath or who disrespects their parents; killing all who oppose God's chosen people, including women, children, and infants, etc. Nothing in the Bible specifically condemns abortion, by the way, but the wearing of blended fabrics is plainly forbidden.

I think the US Constitution is pretty good as it stands. It would be nice if it was a bit more stringently observed.

Hey pitz...sorry to burst your bubble there, but keep reading that Bible for another 1000 or so pages, there is a division called the New Testament, start there it clears up those things you mentioned...;)

The Bible is full of "God's" commands, things like stoning to death anyone who works on the Sabbath or who disrespects their parents; killing all who oppose God's chosen people, including women, children, and infants, etc. Nothing in the Bible specifically condemns abortion, by the way, but the wearing of blended fabrics is plainly forbidden.

Well, now we're into topics that are supposed to be off limits to TFL. Suffice it to say that none of the laws you've mentioned, since they are Old Testament ceremonial laws, are part of Christianity. That's been Christian doctrine since the beginning.

In mainstream Christian doctrine, abortion is murder and is prohibited by at least the "You shall not murder" passage in the Ten Commandments.

I can see Huckabee as a step in the direction not unlike the Ayatollahs who gained virtual control of certain middle eastern countries. Changing the Constitution to more closely align to God's will? That scares me. Exactly how much more of the Constitution and just how closely?

Regardless of what issue he was speaking of at that moment, he made his stance clear that the law of god is above the constitution.

Well that make sense since we are endowed by our CREATOR with certian inalienable rights does it not?

Take the creator out of the equation and your rights are irrelevant. They are what they are only because YOU say so.

Amending the Constitution re abortion/marriage
That would open the door to illegalizing alcohol, sex outside of marriage, inter-racial marriage, single parent births, and a ton of other things.

It is clear that you have read neither the Consittion nor the Bible.

It is clear that you have read neither the Consittion nor the Bible.
I actually took two years of religious studies in school.

You might want to bone up on the official church (catholic and non-catholic christian churces) on these topics and take a look at historical interpetations of the christian bible in regards to said topics.

So you agree that christianity should be our national religion and that the constitution is secondary to the bible

I agree that the federal statutes should be amended to make outrageous misquotes a federal offense. :cool: There should be something thrown in there about logical reasoning skills, also.

The quote posted by the OP had nothing to do with Christianity, but merely referred to God.

Huckabee's not going to be the nominee, but whatever his religious beliefs, he's made it clear that he's a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. The contorted reasoning of the premise of this thread is befuddling and overly simplistic.

Huckabee's not going to be the nominee, but whatever his religious beliefs, he's made it clear that he's a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment. The contorted reasoning of the premise of this thread is befuddling and overly simplistic.
So the notion that he is pro-gun overrides and obvious inability to separate his faith from his duty? It is okay that he uses his religious beliefs, and not the will of the people, to justify his stances as long as he is (for now) supporting gun ownership?

Wait, I thought the second amendment was the enshrining of an overriding human right, not something representing the will of the people. All of a sudden you're acting like somebody should ask the people "hey, how you feel about guns today?" I've never seen Huckabee say or do anything that would make me believe he'd go out and try to remove people's rights (in any way mainstream conservatives aren't already trying desperately to do).

But then, I've also come to the belief that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day how someone came to believe what they believe, as long as they believe it. Yes, I always prefer somebody who comes to their own conclusions, but when dealing with somebody who can affect my life I don't really care whether it's "I will respect your right to free speech because I consider it vital to the very nature of our nation" or "I will respect your right to free speech because some guys who died a couple hundred years ago said it was totally important."

All other things being equal, of course. He's still respecting my right to free speech, after all. Attack Huckabee's desire to ban abortion and gay marriage (two fair criticisms), attack his support of the Fair Tax (also fair), attack any of his positions you want, but don't waste your effort complaining about how somebody decided what they believe; you'll turn yourself blue before you convince me that an ally is in any way "bad" or "wrong" just because they came to genuinely believe the same thing I do by a way other than I did.

So the notion that he is pro-gun overrides and obvious inability to separate his faith from his duty? It is okay that he uses his religious beliefs, and not the will of the people, to justify his stances as long as he is (for now) supporting gun ownership?

I'm curious where exactly the law is that requires people to separate their faith from their duty. Are you suggesting that when a president (or any government employee for that matter) stops being a christian when they walk through the front door of the office?

I must admit PP I'm kind of surprised. You're normally a pretty straighforward guy. I didn't think you would be the one to take a quote out of context and extrapolate it to some ridculous and unfounded conclusion.

If Huckabee was the religious zealot that you claim he is, after 10 years as chief executive of arkansas (a state that would be receptive to religious resolutions) it should be easy to find an example of it.

I've looked and I don't see anything. As such, it would seem that your worries are unfounded.

I must admit PP I'm kind of surprised. You're normally a pretty straighforward guy. I didn't think you would be the one to take a quote out of context and extrapolate it to some ridculous and unfounded conclusion.
The quote is in no way out of context. Merely saying that does not make it so. The quote is a clear example of how he does not seperate his religious convictions from his ability to make political decisions on the law of the people and not the "law of god."

Change

I went thru the religious tactic when I was young "your going to hell because the true church is catholic not protestant.I could say more but leave it at that.I am NOT a chuch goer but believe in GOD. the harashment I went thru as a boy I have never forgot,and yet I married two cath.girls.the bigotry shows when Mitt Romney is put down for being a Mormon.Huckabee is not going to make it but he did help to get rid of the best of the three.you may be sorry but I hope not.;)--:mad:--:rolleyes:

Playboypenguin said:
The quote is a clear example of how he does not seperate his religious convictions from his ability to make political decisions on the law of the people and not the "law of god."
*breaks down Huckabee's quote*

1) The Constitution does not fit with the word of God.
2) The word of God is harder to change than the Constitution.
3) Therefore, we should amend the Constitution.

You know what? In that entire quote, I don't see anything saying "forget the Constitution, I'm going to use the Bible instead unless you edit the Constitution to say 'see: Bible'." Not in the entire darned quote. Just some boring stuff about wanting to amend the Constitution to be more congruous with a belief held by a large majority of Americans. You'd think someone who didn't plan on obeying the Constitution wouldn't even bother amending it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back