How and why (your favorite caliber)

My favorite caliber ?? I do favor revolvers. Mostly whatever fits into the holes in the gun I'm carrying at the time !!!

Although, I do really do kinda like the .41 Mag., as you may be able to tell from my user name ?!

Obviously, different calibers are good for different things. Semi-autos are hard to beat given weight versus capacity and quick interchangeable magazines. However, my favorite caliber is .327 Federal Magnum. I'm sure it helps that I grew up shooting .32-caliber on the farm but that's not it.

It's the cutting edge of revolver technology. It propels 85-115 grain projectiles at impressive speeds with relatively low recoil. It turns the average five-shooter into a six-gun and the six-shooter to a seven. With real-world velocities in excess of 1250 fps from the little LCR, it has taken the concept of the pocket revolver to new heights. With longer barrels, it also makes for an excellent trail gun. With that or one of the new Henry Rifles, I'm sure it would be great for varmints and small to medium game as well.

45 ACP has always been my favorite & I have the most pistols to launch them out of, BUT, I'm really liking the 45 Colt that I've just started getting into- last week shooting around sun up it was about 30 degrees out & I don't have another pistol caliber that I can load, shoot, & unload with gloves on-love those big bullets.

45 ACP has always been my favorite & I have the most pistols to launch them out of, BUT, I'm really liking the 45 Colt that I've just started getting into- last week shooting around sun up it was about 30 degrees out & I don't have another pistol caliber that I can load, shoot, & unload with gloves on-love those big bullets.

You are about to go down a rabbit hole. The .45 Colt is cool for being a classic but it's also extremely versatile in sturdy, modern revolvers. It offers a pretty wide spectrum of "mild to wild" and can perform well in almost any context where you'd be lugging around that much gun. A Redhawk in .45 Colt is on my bucket list. Now, if Ruger would just stop making all these new guns in .327 Federal, I could get to it!

The 41 Magnum and my S&W model 58 . With 5 different bullet moulds and handloading it can do everything from paper targets to hogs and deer.
Extremely accurate with all loads
And since I usually pull for the underdog...the 41 magnum , the unloved red headed step child of the gun world...That's my favorite caliber .
Gary

I like a .38 in a revolver and a 9mm in a pistol.

Both have enough power to do the job yet remain controllable. Works for me.

357 magnum. As a child my primary deer rifle was a 357 magnum marlin. As I got older I got multiple pistols all in 357 magnum. It was also the 357 magnum that was with me when it came time to defend my life. I like all calibers but I trust the 357 magnum because it has been the one that saved me and provided food for my family.

About 1/2 my guns are 357 magnum

357 magnum. As a child my primary deer rifle was a 357 magnum marlin. As I got older I got multiple pistols all in 357 magnum. It was also the 357 magnum that was with me when it came time to defend my life. I like all calibers but I trust the 357 magnum because it has been the one that saved me and provided food for my family.

About 1/2 my guns are 357 magnum
I'd have to say I agree with you completely.

Back