How accurate can a snubnose be?

How accurate can a 2" bbl be?

I regularly shoot 3" groups at 25 yards with my S&W M-10-5, 2" snubby.

It does take more concentration though.

Sight picture, trigger pull and follow through (the most important things in shooting any gun) become even more important when shooting a short barreled gun. The light weight of the small guns makes them "float" around more and the short sight radius makes sighting errors much greater when the ranges get farther out than conversation distances. Yet all of these obstacles can be overcome through practice. I find shooting the short guns accurately at long distances to be extremely challenging and very rewarding. The practice also helps when going back to shooting the your larger guns. I took time off from my autos and large frame revolvers and focused exclusively on my 2" SP101 .38. After three months of practice I was hitting 10"x12" targets at 75 yards with regularity. Some people claim it is just a stunt and a waste of time but it made me a better overall shooter.

Several years ago an eye doctor who enjoyed shooting...

wrote an article on barrel length and vision. He believed that those people who were near sighted (needed correction for distance) shot better with shorter barrels while far sighted people generally shot better with longer barrels.

I don't know if this holds true for all or even most people, but it is correct in my case. I wear glasses to correct my distance vision (also to read now, but that came with the gray hair) and have always done my best shooting with 4" or less barrels on revolvers. I shoot quite well with snub nose revolvers and always have. This was really brought home to me after purchasing a 15-2VH Dan Wesson Pistol Pac w/2 1/2, 4, 6 & 8 inch barrels. The basic handgun was extremely accurate. I had a friend who got excellent accuracy with the 8" tube. Me? Did my best shooting with the snub barrel and the 4".

Last edited:
Had a Colt Agent I bought in the early 80's (parkerized) that, if I did my part, would put all rounds between the eyes and noseof a head target at 25m. Load was the standard 158 lead.

Back