How about this revolver collection?

.44 appeal

A .44 mag revolver is largely a cartridge intended for hunting, though it had a strong following in the metallic silhouette game, but the ability to shoot .44 spl from them, or down load the magnum cartridges if one is a handloader, can tame the magnums and make them suitable for other tasks.

The question was posed regarding moose or bear, and I think the .44 mag would be marginal for moose or the big sometimes dangerous western bears. I've been around black bears a good bit in my younger days, and though there're a wild animal, and I don't fully trust them, they are not near the threat like their cousins, and a .44 mag would likely deal easily with the average blackie, and I suspect that such a bear would run under 300 lbs, though they certainly grow bigger.

The .44 is plenty of gun for whitetail and hogs and entirely suitable choice. Consider that one step down in the revolver world is the .41 mag, somewhat dormant, so the logical next choice is the .357, which will work for medium game certainly, but I would consider borderline in energy. Yes, lots of critters have fallen to the .357, but were I choosing a revolver hunting cartridge, (and I was, remember "your 3") it would be something bigger than .357. In the other direction, the .454 and .480 are bigger cartridges and begin to break into the realm of the speciality. Never shot either, but I suspect they are getting right up there in serious recoil. There are likely far more .44's in circulation and afield, than their bigger brothers.

The .44mag is no longer "the most powerful handgun in the world" and I'm sure many here can (and will) name others. The .44 is a handful, extremely noisy and with a lot of flash, but it is manageable and shot well by a lot of folks. Typically they are not shot a lot. One won't fire 200 full power rounds in succession at the range and claim they enjoyed it. But I think they can be managed by most enthusiasts. I would not hand one to bamawife, a younger kid, or any inexperienced shooter. But if you hunt with a handgun for medium game, want a poweful handgun in relatively portable package for protection from toothy critters, or play the silhouette game, they are the popular choice.

a .44 mag would likely deal easily with the average blackie,
Brian Pearce's son took a black bear with with the Ruger medium frame .45 Colt flattop... mention as a reference. As a 'defense' revolver .45 Colt, .44 Mag, or .44 Special will work just fine on most if not all large animals. The .357 is what I would call marginal. The appeal of the .44 Mag goes back to Elmer Keith (for us gun nuts) and of course Dirty Harry for every one else.

pzgren...how do the new beretta imports stack up against the older mr73's?

also too, a point usually missed on well built revolvers is...smooth d.action. pythons d.action is legendary.

how is a korths or mr73's d.action stack up against a python?

people always talk about looks and feel, but never say anything about what (should be) the most important feature.

Ok... since I'm more of a collector mine will go as follows, all 4" barrels:

-S&W Post-war M&P, but pre-model 10 (I have one, while not "rare" we are pigeonholed into about a decade of production). Why? Because nearly every Police Department in America has carried either that or...

-Colt Official Police in .38spc. Because most cops carried either this or choice number 1. And I like history.

-Third choice is tough, but I'm going with an earlier Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. This one kind of scratches the "magnum" itch, as it's safe for Ruger Only 45 Colt loads. Downloaded to normal .45lc levels, it is plenty adequate for SD. The Ruger Only loads are more than adequate for medium sized game... maybe not ideal for large game though. Still it would do all I need it to.

This is just me, and it's because the first two are non-negotiable in a "collection" for me.

The { .45 Colt } Ruger Only loads are more than adequate for medium sized game...
More than appropriate for large game too. Read about experiences of Linebaugh, Prasac, Casull, Seyfried with the .45 Colt... and probably many others. They'd set you straight :) . To wet your appetite, here is one such article from Max to tie them together : Hot Rodding .45 Colt

Last edited:
pzgren...how do the new beretta imports stack up against the older mr73's?

also too, a point usually missed on well built revolvers is...smooth d.action. pythons d.action is legendary.

how is a korths or mr73's d.action stack up against a python?

people always talk about looks and feel, but never say anything about what (should be) the most important feature.

If I was going to try and cover three different calibers while limited to three revolvers that I currently own, I'd go with:

Ruger Single Six 5.5" in .22lr and .22 mag
S&W M65 4" in .357 mag and .38 Special
Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" in .44 mag and .44 Special

But that leaves a gaping hole as none of those are particularly suited for concealed carry. A snubby in .38 Special is the last revolver I would part with meaning that one of the others would go to make room for it. I guess it would have to be the Super Black Hawk that gets bumped.

If I was going to try and cover three different calibers while limited to three revolvers that I currently own, I'd go with:

Ruger Single Six 5.5" in .22lr and .22 mag
S&W M65 4" in .357 mag and .38 Special
Ruger Super Blackhawk 7.5" in .44 mag and .44 Special

But that leaves a gaping hole as none of those are particularly suited for concealed carry. A snubby in .38 Special is the last revolver I would part with meaning that one of the others would go to make room for it. I guess it would have to be the Super Black Hawk that gets bumped.
If it were me I’d bump the .22, I have rifles for those chores. I’d add a carry size revolver of your choice in .38sp.

S&W m17 K22 6” 22rf.
S&W m25 6” 45Colt
S&W m36 2” 38special.

I know guys want to plug in a 357 as middle bracket. I actually have 9 top end S&W 357s and can’t think of a thing they are good for except anti personnel.Versatility? the ability to shoot many 38/357 cartridges and loads?

I think this is an interesting exercise. Do we look at this as we can only have three revolvers or do we look at this as what the first three revolvers we might acquire? Do we go for versatility or do we try to fulfill specific needs such as concealed carry, target shooting, home defense, hunting, pest control, or other reasons?

It's an interesting thought experiment and it makes me glad that I don't have to limit myself to three revolvers.

Interesting exercise indeed. Looking 'back' my first was a .357 BH as I was planning on doing a lot of hiking and fishing in Moose and Bear country -- plus my uncle had one and liked it. As I was still a youngster going to college at the time and my dad had plenty of .22s to pick from, the .357 was 'it'. Then when I got my first real job out of college, out of home, a .44 Magnum came along (that was testosterone talking I think). Then I got a .22 Mark II and couple BP revolvers. Finally I ran into the .45 Colt and never looked back.

My .45 caliber Blackhawk convertible:

00463BlackHawk45ACP200grSWCTesting20yards.jpg

My .357/.38/9mm Blackhawk convertible:

BHawk9mm_124grHST_100923_PwrPistol25yds.jpg

My .22 617

617-6_Range_ATorn.jpg

Back