Hostile situation. Bad guy has a friend at gun point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you already have your pistol drawn and a bead on the BG, you're at a total disadvantage with no good way forward. Comply with his demands and hope for an opening or that he'll release his hostage. Fumbling around trying to get your gun unholstered and into action in that situation isn't likely to yield good results.

The best among us can't draw from concealed holster, acquire a plate sized target, and shoot accurately and safely, faster than it takes the hostage taker to squeeze the trigger and/or duck.

While I don't disagree with you on what you are saying, I do disagree with this statement, and yes I can draw and shoot the BG out from behind a hostage have done it many times in IDPA matches.

Get out and try one sometime, you will see it is not as hard as you think. (it takes about 1 second)

It would however, depend on a number of other factors on if I would, but it can be done. (easy)

Jim

Last edited:
The key is-it depends. Depends on the range, the target exposed by the aggressor, what the hostage is doing, what you're armed with...

And the only real way to be able to decide (rapidly!) if you can make the particular shot you're presented with is to practice, train and test yourself until you know the shots you can, and cannot, make. The reason you 'know your limits' is so in training you can attempt to move them, and in reality you can work within or around them. Key to that is knowing immediately, "Can I make this shot?"

Larry

Comply. You can not draw aim and fire faster than the bad guy can just fire...

Want proof reverse the roll. Could you fire before the bad guy was able to draw aim and fire if you already have the gun out and aimed? That is a losing situation.

That is a situation where I don't see a good out come. Chances are at least 1 person is going to get shot if you cant talk him down.

:(

It takes .25 seconds to fire. How fast is your draw again? So somebody is going to get shot. At that point you have a clear target. What's the problem now? I doubt the officers in the "Onion Field" would make the same choice given a "mulligan". Don't give up your gun! How will increasing the number of hostages improve the situation? In this "scenario", your flow chart is complete. Get busy!

I'm going to get shot.

Bad guy is going to get shot.

My brother is going to get shot.

No matter what happens, . . . it won't have a great eanding.

Any one, two, or all three of those may happen.

What will NOT happen is me standing there watching it happen, knowing full well I have my 1911 on my hip.

I'll first (according to training) start a circling movement away from the weapon, . . . making it a longer move for him to get me than it was before.

I will also talk to him and do every thing I can to distract and confuse him as I am moving, . . . and pulling my weapon.

As soon as I am sure I have him in the 3 dot sights, . . . if he has not relented and run, . . . you can refer to the first three lines.

May God bless,
Dwight

Going nowhere and attracting "chest thumping."

One thing about hypotheticals. You can set then up to have any result you want -- including an absolute "no win."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back