Horrible Bore condition.

Pitted bores can still work

My first 45 had a horrible bbl Shoot a 230 cast it cane out the other end 210 gr. I would clean the rifle and run a wet patcj of Johnsons past wax down it and shoot your cast bullets . The past wax will make cleaning easier. Just shoot it. J.Michael

If it shoots and groups that tightly, stop worrying about how the bore looks. Develop a load that gets the results you like and never look back.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth, right?:D

I'd be ecstatic that a old gun with a bore that looks like poo shoots so well!

Mike

Just saying: A dark bore reduces a collectable rifles worth substantially.

In wanting a good paper shooter or perhaps spending some time hunting deer with such a old 1894 Winny. Consider sending the rifle to Jes Barrels and have it re-bored to 35-30 or better yet a >38-55. Doing a full bore job would enhance its shooting groups. The 38-55 is a dandy cartridge in the field and accurate enough for banging on gongs at 250.__Or__
having a fast twist. Clean its corrosion out as best you can and simply shoot and enjoy the rifle.

I personally don't like barrel re-lining jobs. But if you really desire one. Give this fellow a hail here on cast bollits. i.e. John Taylor "he'll steer you right."
I've read the Best liners are those that are hammer forged and heat treated.)

I happen to have a 25-35_ 1/2 & 12 barreled 1894 Winchester rifle with a factory ordered pistol grip stock and tang mounted peep.. Rifle is in exceptional condition appearance wise for its age.(1908) Not saying B/powder was the ultimate culprit of its dark bore. But corrosive primer use in those earlier times no doubt is #1 on my list.

Have thought about sending my 25-35 to Jes. But being in such good condition (outside) I decided to clean its bore with a stainless Brownells bore brush, navel jelly, & dupont chrome polish. Rifles bore didn't require much brushing to removed all of its rusty corrosion but somehow my effort kinda brighten up its bore to a dull gray. {observed with a bore light} Rifling although pitted here & there its entire length is still easily recognized and pronounced thank Goodness.
Somehow after all that scrubbing/cleaning my Ol 1894 long barrel still shoots pretty darn good. (Jacketed & g/c'ed cast alike.) Good luck with you're 30-30s liner or boring job.

I try to be careful when talking about "lining" the barrel of a high power rifle. When the term "liner" or "lining" is used, most people think of the thin liners sold by Brownells and others for use with .22 or low pressure center fire cartridges like .32-20.

But the liner itself must be thick enough to contain the pressure involved so when you talk about lining the barrel of a rifle in the higher pressure ranges, you can't use one of those liners. The liner for a high pressure rifle is essentially a light weight barrel inserted into a thin shell which is the old barrel drilled and reamed out. Of course, the composite barrel will not (cannot) be as strong as a replacement barrel would be, though it has to be at least adequate for the maximum working pressure of the cartridge.

If you try to use a thin liner for a cartridge in the 35-60K psi range, at best the liner will bulge into any and all gaps between it and the original barrel, resulting in poor accuracy. At worst, the liner will not be strong enough and will burst, which will probably burst the shell of the original barrel also. I can't recommend trying to line the barrel of high power rifles. If they are collectors' items, they should not be fired anyway and should be left alone; if they have no collector interest, they should be rebarrelled.

Jim

Back